STDs Community
Don't know If I have syphilis or not

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Don't know If I have syphilis or not

On may 2, I was masturbating and I noticed a small red sore on my penis located on the neck between my penis head and kinda under my foreskin on the top side of my penis. I think it may be called a prepuce. I thought it was just a scratch however, so I continued to Masturbate. I continue looking at the sore and research it online. I saw that it could be herpes or either syphilis. So, I waited a week just to see if the sore would go away and it didn't. I masturbated a few during the wait which I think it made it worse. I noticed that the sore was causing a little discomfort but not alot. It would discharge at times a clear fluid with blood causing that area to look kind of green and also gave it a small stinch. After waiting that week, on May 9th I went to the doctor to get a HIV test and a Syphilis test, I got my results for my HIV test which came back Neg. I had to wait another week to get the results for my syphilis test. During that 2nd week, I noticed that the sore got a little bit bigger and when ever I got hard, it discharged. I did masturbate another time during the 2nd week however, I stopped because it seemed as if it was geting worse. On May 17th, I got my results for the syphilis, The doctor that I spoke to came told me and said that I was positive for syphilis, then he turned it around and said that he was not sure and I needed to go for further testing. Doctors looked at it and said that it wasn't herpes. So, they prescribed me medication which was, doxycyline hyclate 100mg and that i needed to take it twice a day for 14 days but, only if I had the syphilis. So, I figured that if he gave me the meds for it, then I must have it so, I am not taking them anyway.  The doctor told me not too until I was to get further test.. so now i'm waiting to see if the sore will go away after taking my meds. I was wondering If anyone could help to understand what is going on? or if anyone has had this situation before. I forgot to mention that my sore has a weird hard piece that is sitting on the side of the sore and now my sore is real pink and kind of yellow. The sore will hurt at times if the hard part of it is rubbed against. I apologize for this long story. can someone please help me. I thank you so much...
We can't tell you much about those sore. As for syphilis I don't know if it would be or not. Do you know what your Tier# was with the test? Did you have blood drawn for a different test?
Hello! Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I did have the blood drawn but it was only for Syphilis. However the doctor told me that I was  HIV neg, so I guess he checked me for that as well. I have images of my sore but, I don't know a way to upload them. I noticed this morning, that it burned like heck once water got on the sore during my shower. It looks like a real deep hole. As far the Tier#, I don't even know what that is. he gave me a paper with information on it however, its so sloppy that I can't even read it. The only thing that I can make out is, ( RPR 1:1 Nug or Neg FTA. Then it has the date and following the date he has an M with a symbol that looks like a o with an arrow on top of the o and next to it is says PTN Top ). This is all on the same line. On the second line he has, ( Neg or Ny HIV Neg or Nug CT/6c) I just don't have a clue. I just feel terrible.
we don't look at pictures here and it's against medhelp's guidelines to post genital pictures.  

are you allergic to penicillin that your provider gave you doxy?

make sure you also follow up with herpes igg blood testing 3 months after you last had sex.  you should be sexually responsible and including that in your std testing after partners.

how long prior to your rpr had you last had sex? do you have a regular partner?

your local health department can actually do a terrific job for syphilis. not a bad idea to try to get an appointment there. take your syphilis test results with you too.

grace
Thank you so much for your response. I do have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.