STDs Expert Forum
Don't know if or which std I have, rash on testicles

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Doctors,

Please a look at the link below in case i forget to add something, this is my problem,

I had foreplay, not intecourse with a girl i didnt know about 3 months ago. After a couple of days I developed a small wound on my scrotum but healed after a couple of days. About 10 days ago, i developed a rash on my scrotum that turned it red, leathery, and pretty much looks burned, my skin also broke on my penis shaft, and finally i developed an ulcer like wound inside the skin (i am uncircumcised). Finally, i had a small red stop on my left hand, now is more copper like color.

Anyway went to the dematologist and he was kinda sure it was syphilis, gave me a prescription for peniciline and ordered blood tests, 2 for syphilis and 1 for HIV. The day after went to pick up the test but just had the HIV ready, which thank god was negative, went to the doc since i had already purchased the shot and got it. The day after went to pick up the rest of the tests and all turned out to be negatives! The doc prescribed Mupiderm, which contains Mupirocine, and is kinda helping i guess because i am healing.

My questions is then what do i have? Can it be chancroid or any other std, or maybe not an std after all?

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/I-may-have-syphilis/show/1468379?personal_page_id=2060795#post_6677781

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum.  But unfortuately I can't help very much.  This forum is strictly limited to STDs, not to diagnosis of non-STD genital conditions.

I'm not at all surprised your syphilis test was negative, despite the dermatologist's original concern about the possibility.  Based on the expsosure you describe, syphilis was very unlikely, and a primary syphlilis lesion (the chancre) cannot heal in just a couple of days.  Your dermatolgist was wise to test your for syphilis, and perhaps even to treat you while awaiting the test result -- the better-safe-than-sorry approach.  However, the blood test results done 3 months after onset never lie; for sure you didn't have it.

And your symptoms really don't go along with any other STD either.  By far the most common STD that causes a genital sore is herpes, but initial herpes doesn't commonly occur on the scrotum, and your later skin rash doesn't even hint at that diagnosis.  Chancroid is current absent in the United States, and your symptoms don't suggest it.

My advice is that you continue to work with your dermatologist about the diagnosis; his opinion is going to be much more reliable than anything I or any distant online expert can come up with.  In any case, you definitely need no longer worry about syphilis or any other STD.  Your rash probably has nothing at all to do with the sexual encounter 3 months ago.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
No sexual encounters since...FYI

No pain while urinating, no itching, no flakes, no white liquid coming out of the urethra.
I saw this before I replied above.
Thank you sooo much doctor :)

I'll have a good night sleep then.

Have a good day.
Another question,

Since this is most likely not an STD, can i have sex? ( of course after the wounds heal because i couldnt even if i wanted right now.
With no STD there is no risk to a partner.  But you should ask your dermatologist whether there is risk of irritation that might be uncomfortable or cause any other problem.
Doctor,

A little update, i went to my dermatologist today and according to him, the negative result on the blood test was due to the fact that I took Ciproflox 2 weeks ago, and he still thinks i had syphilis. Also he prescribed Doxycycline twice a day for 10 days. I don't really know what's going on.

He said i have to take another blood test in 3-6 months, when i got the peniciline shot he said not to have sex in 1 week, is that still on or should i just wait until i finish my doxycycline treatment? Forgot to ask him.

Thank you so much for answering

MedHelp's moderators are asked to avoid overt disagreements with users' own doctors.  However, I don't understand your dermatologist's belief you had syphilis. it isn't possible to have syphilis for 3 months with a negative blood test.  Second, it is very unlikely your partner had syphilis, which in absent in most heterosexual populations in the US (most cases these days are in gay men).  Third, transmission through "foreplay", by which you probably mean hand-genital contact, doesn't occur.  And even if you had syphilis, I see no reason for the doxycycline.  Penicillin alone is highly reliable -- more so than doxycycline.  Unless he gave you the wrong kind of penicillin.  You might ask whether he treated you with the form called benzathine penicillin (brand name Bicillin), which is correct; or procaine penicillin, which is not.

When someone has syphilis, penicillin makes them non-infectious for their partners within a day or so, although it is commonly advised to wait a week to provide a margin of safety.

I remain convinced you had neither syphilis nor any other STD.

That will have to end this thread.  Take care.
Thank you for answering

Was more like a genital-genital contact without intercourse, he treated me with benzathine penicillin. Whatever it was, it is already healing and new skin is being generated and looks way more normal, the sore on the inner skin of my uncircumcised penis is nearly gone, and the broken skin is looking better and better, thank god.

Thank you so much again doctor, and I'm sorry if i have asked a lot of questions but this is the 1st time something like this has happend to me and Has been a traumatizing experince.

Take care as well,
This information does not change my opinion.  Stay well.