STDs Expert Forum
Dr. Please respond, really scared

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dr. Please respond, really scared

So here's my problem, I went to a strip club last week and got a full nude lap dance.  There was no sexual activity other than obviously the dance.  Afterwards I went to the bathroom to urinate about 2-3 minutes later.  My question is what is my risk of contracting something here.  For instance what if some vaginal fluid got on my clothes during the dance and then afterwards I touched it when I was touching my crotch area undoing my zipper and then touched the tip of my penis? Is this just my anxiety, or should I really be worried?  Was i at any risk of contracting anything in this situation?  Thank you
Welcome to the forum.

You have a basic misunderstanding.  STDs are not merely genital infections that can be transmitted by any contact with genital secretions.  They call them STDs because you have to have sex to transmit them. With rare exceptions, that means a penis inside another person's vagina, rectum, or (much less commonly) mouth.  The sorts of contact you describe carry absolutely no risk for any STD.  Your fears have absolutely no basis in reality.  Move on without worry about it.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you for the response.  The main reason I was concerned is because 3 days after the encounter until the present time I got conjunctivitis.  I started looking all over the net and came across chlamydial conjunctivitis which started my worry and how the incubation period for that is 3 days at earliest.  I have the pink eye in both eyes but I co-currently have a cold with congestion which I have been told can be the cause of my pink eye making it viral conjunctivitis.  What is your opinion here, I greatly appreciate it.  Thanks again
This doesn't change my opinion or advice.  Not only could such transmission not occur, but chlamydial conjunctivitis would take 10-14 days to start to cause symptoms.  Further, garden variety viral conjunctivitis is hundreds of times more common than chlamydial -- and chlamydia wouldn't also cause the other cold symptoms you describe.

I suggest you stay off the web for a while.  Like many anxious people who research their concerns on line, I suspect you are being drawn to information that inflames your anxieties and missing the reassuring bits.  This is expressed nicely by Nate Silver (the recently famous statistician who writes the NY Times' FiveThirtyEight political blog) in his new book, "The Signal and the Noise". Silver writes of a hypothetical hypochondriac with an Internet connection:  "The more time that you give him, the more information he has at his disposal, the more ridiculous the self-diagnosis he'll come up with; before long he'll be mistaking a common cold for the bubonic plague."