STDs Expert Forum
Dribbling/Leaking

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dribbling/Leaking

Dr., I do not know what to do.  For the past 2 months, I have noticed something that I have never noticed before.  I'm a 32 year old male, straight, no sex with men ever.  After I urinate, after each and every single time, I notice that I dribble additional urine afterwards.  By this I mean that, although I am done, there is still some urine in there (urethra?) that has not all come out for some reason.  I've NEVEr had to "milk" the underside of my penis before just to push/get all the drops out, and I've NEVER before had to use tissue paper to dab the tip of my penis for the same reason - so that all the drops come out and I don't have urine drops in my underwear.  But I've been having to do this for the past 2 months.  I'm too young to have an enlarged prostate, so I fear that something else may be wrong/that this is a warning sign - like urethritis or prostatitis caused by an STD that I've been previously unaware of.  I have never noticed any discharge.

I have not had any sort of sexual encounter (by choice), not even oral sex performed on me, since December 2007 (urinary dribbling began to occur in June/July 2008).  You should know that I was diagnosed with genital herpes (HSV-1, not Type 2) last August 2007, and have not had any outbreaks in the 13 months since.  However, at the exact same time that I had my first HSV-1 outbreak, I also had walking pneumonia.  At that time, I was terribly afraid that I had contracted HIV or other STD's besides herpes.  At that time (August 2007), my blood tests were negative for all the things they tested (besides herpes) - however now I fear that it may have been "too soon" after my last possible unprotected sex exposure with a risky/promiscuous partner a month (5 weeks) before that in July 2007.  I had an additional blood test done in January 2008, which was negative for HIV.  However, I fear that I have concentrated my testing solely on HIV, to the detriment of other tests - and now I am experiencing these problems.
Urine dribbling is not an STD symptom.  Neither is anal bleeding in persons who have not been on the receiving end of anal sex.  The first is more likely related to the prostate gland (regardless of your age) and/or anatomic abnormality of the lower urinary tract.  Anal bleeding is most commonly due to hemorrhoids or an anal fissure.

From your description, I'm not sure anything is abnormal in your urinary tract at all.  It is obvious both from the tone of this question and your previous ones in the past few months that you are emotionally distraight, perhaps related to your recent diagnosis of genital herpes.  That might explain much of what you are experiencing.

Definitely no STD explains your symptoms and therefore this forum cannot help you further.  You should see your primary care provider about your symptoms and your ovious anxieties.

Finally, please note the MedHelp policy about a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months on the moderated forums; see the Terms and Conditions link.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Last thing, I don't know if this is related or not, but just 2 weeks ago, I noticed a small amount of blood on the tissue paper after I had a bowel movement.  This lasted for 3 days whenever I had a movement.  The stool or bowl water were not bloody, just the tissue a little bit when I wiped.  Although I didn't know whether or not it was a hemmorhoid, I used some hemorrhoid cream - and the problem went away, and I haven't noticed any blood on the tissue paper since then.  But there is still the problem with the urinary dribbling/leaking each and every time I am done urinating.  I patiently, though anxiously, await your advice - thank you.
I saw these comments before my reply above.
I've conducted independent research, and spoke with a Dr. who (as you mentioned) suspected that my problem either could be a prostate issue (despite my age) ... or that it could be due to a "stricture" of my urethra - which, since I've never had surgery or trauma to it before, may be the result of having had an STD in the past such as gonorrhea.  If I have been tested (and perhaps in your opinion overtested) 3 times in the past 13 months (all negative for gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis, and HIV), what is the possibility that I have a stricture in my urethra due to a previously undiagnosed STD due to unreliable labwork or something else?

Thank you, Dr., after this no more posts and hope to "move on" now.  Thank you for your assistance.
I have never heard of a urethral stricture due to urethritis (whether due to gonorrhea, chlamydia, or anything else) who did not have obvious, painful urethritis with delayed treatment, usually for a couple of weeks.  I will be surprised if it turns out you have a urethral stricture; and if you do, I cannot imagine it is due to previously undiagnosed, asymptomatic gonorrhea or other STD.  You're going to have to look to things other than STD to explain any and all of the health problems you describe.