STDs Community
Epididymitis- Cause/Cure?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Epididymitis- Cause/Cure?

I started having pain in my testicle 7 weeks ago. (sporadic sharp and dull pain, no other symptoms) I went to my GP and was diagnosed with a mild case of epididymitis and prescribed 500mg of cipro twice daily for seven days and 500 mg ibuprofin 2 times a day for 10 days. The pain subsided for two weeks and then returned.

Went back to my GP and he prescribed me with 500mg cipro twice daily for 10 days.  After a week without improvement I went to a Urologist. He confirmed epididymitis and instructed me to stop taking the cipro. He prescribed me 375mg Naproxen twice daily for 2 weeks and a scrotal ultrasound.

I saw another Urologist for a second opinion. He also confirmed epididymitis with inflamation (inflammation) of the veins, prescribed 100mg doxycycline once a day for 10 days and ibuprofin. After few days the epididymitis became bilateral.
I went back to the doctor and was prescribed diflucan.

Doctors seem unconcerned yet unable to tell me what the cause or cure is. Any ideas? Thank you.
Avatar n tn
Hi guys,
I really feel your pain. I was diagnosed with epididymitis 6 years ago and suffered from the inflammations and pain for about 2 and 1/2 years. Several urologists just assumed that I had sexual relationships out of the wedlock (it was not the case!) and prescribed several bouts of antibiotics to no avail... Then, I finally traveled to the hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and they diagnosed an enlarged prostate that was exerting pressure on an internal nerve. A simple course of alpha-blockers (Flomax), for about two months, took care of the problem! The pain and inflammation totally went away...
I was so angry that I had to live with this for almost 3 years given how easy the solution was, just because most doctors are ignorant of the origins of this problem!
Please have your doctors try and prescribe you alpha-blockers: I never have had any problems since then...
I hope this helps: please post back if you tried alpha blockers and they worked: I would like to know if an enlarged prostate (or similar inflammation of internal muscles) is a common cause of epididymitis and be able to help more people...