STDs Community
Examined and treated for gonorrhea but tested negative?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Examined and treated for gonorrhea but tested negative?

Experiencing vaginal soreness and yellow-green discharge, I went to Planned Parenthood. I was examined and treated for gonorrhea & chlamydia. I began to experience relief of the symptoms within 24hrs. I called weeks later to get the urine test results but they came back negative? Was this a false negative? I'm sure I was infected, the Nurse Practitioner agreed that it looked like gonorrhea. She aslo examined a swab under the microscope and noted abnormally high presence of white blood cells. The treatment was almost immediately effective. My partner at the time admitted to having unprotected sex with two other people but never got tested himself. The negative test is really throwing me off.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
3149845_tn?1386354841
Hi and welcome. False negative do happen but most experts consider them rare. Well now we really wont know as the meds have most likely killed them by now.
if it was me, i would be more inclined to believe i had it as did have symptoms and they did clear up after the meds kicked in.
Were these symptoms in your urethrea or in you vagina.
I would lean towards your boyfriend had it and would get him tested before sex with him agaim
Blank
False negatives are not uncommon (the tests have only about 80-85% sensitivity) but apparently these are usually associated with asymptomatic disease.

Were the tests done on a urine sample?  That may explain the false negative as the urine-based tests are much less sensitive for women than for men.
Blank
Thanks for the quick reply! The symptoms were vaginal not urinary. I agree with you, I'm inclined to say that I was infected and just got a false negative. I had the symptoms and the treatment given was effective. Treatment only works if you have the disease, right?
Blank
Thank you for replying! Yes, the test taken was urine. I feel more confident now that I just got a false negative. I appreciate your feedback.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
did they also test you for trich?

grace
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources