STDs Expert Forum
Exposure to STDS?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Exposure to STDS?

Dear Doctor,

I have the following question: Today, I used a public toilet, which still had someone else's urine splashed onto the seat. I never sit down on public toilets anyways but sort of 'squat' above it, so I didn't wipe the seat clean before I used the toilet. I took a whole bunch of toiletpaper then to wipe myself clean, but since the toilet paper was such a big bunch it might have touched the urine splashes on the seat when I moved it towards my genital area. I am now really worried that  I might have dabbed someone's urine with the toilet paper onto my genital area. Is it possible to contract STD's like Chlamyida or Gonnorreah this way (since I know Chlamydia can be found in the urine of an infected person) ? I used more toilet paper afterwards to clean myself better, but am still worried.I am 6 months pregnant and totally freaked out about harming my baby. How long after infection (if possible this way) can one do a test? Thank you very much for your reply, best wishes, Stella.
Welcome to the Forum.  There is little chance that there were any STD-related bacteria or viruses present in the urine on the toilet seat but even if there were and even if the toilet paper did absorb some of the urine before you cleaned yourself, this sort of transfer carries no risk  whatsoever for transmission of any STD.  The microorganisms do not survive in urine or in the environment and, because of their own properties would have stuck firmly to the toilet paper.  There is no risk at all to you or your baby and no need for concern or for testing.  

I hope my comments are helpful to you.  EWH