STDs Expert Forum
FRENCH KISSING and STDS

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

FRENCH KISSING and STDS

Hello again doctors
Greetings from Eastern Europe
...I am on treatment with doxycycline now.
Anyway I want to tell you that yesterday I did a very stupid mistake.
I met with a CSW and had sex with her.
The sex was vaginal and condom protected with Durex condom .No anal ,no oral.
This girl looked so good that I lost my mind and we started to kiss.. deep .french kiss..
I would like to know what are my chances to get an STD from deep french kissing..?.
Can anybody contract chlamydia ,syphilis or gonorrhea from french kissing ?
I am very worried.
Sorry for posting again but I am aware of this stupid mistake.
I wait for your answers.Best regards .
Welcome to the forum.

Kissing carries no STD risk.  Certainly oral herpes (due to HSV-1) could be acquired that way, but oral HSV-1 isn't considered an STD.  You would think gonorrhea, which can infect the throat, could be transmitted by kissing, but it never is.  Syphilis is theoretically possible but very, very rare if it occurs at all.  Chlamydia, HPV, HIV, and other STDs are definitely not transmitted by kissing.

The major health risk from kissing is for the common cold.  Other than that, you should not be at all worried.

Regards--  HHH, MD
So basically you are saying that syphilis is the only STD which can be transmitted by kissing ?
And if so can you tell me a figure (risk of 10 %...1 %...).?
Should I get tested for syphilis ?
There are no data on which to base a percentage estimate, but it has to be well under 1 chance in many thousand, maybe 1 in a million -- for sure too rare to worry about.  If this is the only sexual event you are worried about, you do not need to be tested for syphilis or any other STD.  
Doctor I am a little bit confused...
You said that gonorrhea is never transmitted by kissing but can be passed through oral sex and in this case it affects the throat and it is called gonococcal pharyngitis...Am I right ?
My question for you is :
Let's suppose that this girl has gonococcal pharyngitis(gonorrhea of the throat) and we kissed. How it is possible for the infection not to be transmitted by french kissing ?
Your logic is sound; it does indeed seem that gonorhea could be transmitted by kissing, if one person has pharyngeal infection (gonococcal pharyngitis).  That's why my original reply said "You would think gonorrhea, which can infect the throat, could be transmitted by kissing...."  However, I also said "but it never is".  I don't know why -- but it's true.  In over 3 decades in a busy STD clinic, I never saw a case of oral gonorrhea that appeared to have been caught by kissing.

So my advice remains the same:  stop worrying about it.

That's all for this thread.  I won't have any more comments or advice.
A related discussion, risk of std and french kissing was started.