STDs Community
False positive for syphilis?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

False positive for syphilis?

My boyfriend got his test results back, and they called him and told him that he had a false positive for syphilis the first time. They tested his blood again, and it turned out negative. I'm just wondering is there any chance that he may have syphilis? Why did the tests come back positive the first time?
No test is 100% accurate, and that's why they automatically do a confirmation test with a positive syphilis blood test.

If the confirmation test was negative, then you don't have to worry.

AJ
Avatar n tn
My husband had a spinal tap bcs the doctor wanted to find out if the STD had caused any damage or how far the STD was in his system.

The removal of the spinal liquid resulted in no STD. Is that possible?
Yes, its very possible, and its good that it hasn't gotten into the spinal fluid.

Aj