STDs Community
False positive for syphilis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

False positive for syphilis?

My boyfriend got his test results back, and they called him and told him that he had a false positive for syphilis the first time. They tested his blood again, and it turned out negative. I'm just wondering is there any chance that he may have syphilis? Why did the tests come back positive the first time?
No test is 100% accurate, and that's why they automatically do a confirmation test with a positive syphilis blood test.

If the confirmation test was negative, then you don't have to worry.

AJ
Avatar n tn
My husband had a spinal tap bcs the doctor wanted to find out if the STD had caused any damage or how far the STD was in his system.

The removal of the spinal liquid resulted in no STD. Is that possible?
Yes, its very possible, and its good that it hasn't gotten into the spinal fluid.

Aj