STDs Expert Forum
False positive syphilis test
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

False positive syphilis test

I am a 39 year old woman.  In january this year I went to a doctor and asked for a total check up for STDs (for the purpose of entering into a new realationship).  
Everything came back negative, but I was told that I was a biological false positive for Syphilis.  The doctor assured me that I was OK and that no further testing would be necessary.  I dont really understand how it works, it seems my blood initially gave a positive and then turned out negative later.  They only took my blood once, I did not have to come back for a new bloodtest.  
Now lately I have worried that I could potentially have a lot of other diseases that would have contributed to the false positive test.  Should I ask for a new syphilis test to make sure?  I am particularly concerned for this now as I am trying to get pregnant, and for the last two years I seem to have had an abnormal number of very early pregnancy losses.  
Sincerely,
E A