STDs Community
False positives on STD-test?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

False positives on STD-test?

I am confused whether or not taking antibiotica can cause a false positive on an std-test?

I saw this post in which Grace says it can't: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Antibiotics-and-STD-test/show/1469979

And this post in which someone else says it can cause false positives: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Antibiotics-and-urine-sample-reliabilty/show/1247564

-Does anyone know or have a source in which a clear answer to this questi is given?
-Also after how many weeks after possible infection can an STD be detected, is that 2 weeks?
we can probably much better help you if you tell us your particular story and why this is a concern for you - thanks!

grace
Well I wish to be tested for std's 2 weeks after exposure, which is in 1 week time. And I would like to have a reliable result, not the chance of a false positive, cause I am on antibiotics now and for the next few days.
Thank you.
the only std testing that is accurate 2 weeks post encounter is gonorrhea and chlamydia testing.

what antibiotic are you on?
I do not know yet, I have to pick them up today. But do you know if they can affect the std test in such a way that the result will be a false positive?
Find out what you have to take and then come back. But why not test before you take the medication? And 1 week after exposure those 2 STD's Grace mentioned would be a conclusive test. No need to wait 2 weeks to test for those.
There's a waiting list so I cannot go earlier. But can antibiotics cause a false positive or only false negatives?
it's almost always false negatives, not false positives.