STDs Expert Forum
Flu-like symptoms?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Flu-like symptoms?

I am a 28-year-old female, and a few weeks ago I had protected intercourse with a male partner.  2-3 days later I developed a sore throat, swollen glands, and general cold-like symptoms (but no genital lesions).  Last weekend I had protected intercourse with another partner, while I was still recovering from my cold.  A few days later he contracted the same symptoms - sore throat and swollen glands.

I have read that sometimes herpes and other STDs manifest in flu-like symptoms.  My questions:

1) What are the chances of my contracting herpes from one act of intercourse with a condom (no oral sex)?

2) If I did contract an STD, how likely is it that I would manifest flu-like symptoms without any accompanying genital lesions?  (I did notice two isolated pimples, several inches apart, outside my genital region, but they didn't seem to match the description of traditional "herpes" lesions.)

3) Should I be worried that my second partner's flu-like symptoms could be evidence that I contracted something from my first partner, and then transmitted it to him?  Or could it be a common cold virus transmitted by kissing?

Thank you so much for your time.