STDs Expert Forum
Folliculitis ? ? ?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Folliculitis ? ? ?

A few days after I had sex for the first time I noticed these red spots around the base of my penis and in my pubic hair. At first I thought nothing of it but over the course of a few days some of them began getting whiteheads. I would pop them before I got into the shower. It has been a week now and they still continue to get a few whiteheads everyday. 90% of these pimples have a hair coming from the center of them. A few of them actually had two hairs from the same pore/pimple. Would/could lesions from herpes grow in the follicles and produce hair like in my case? The past two days I have been pulling the hairs from the pimples and popping them before showering. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do. I am really freaked out and scared that it is herpes type 2. I have been reading the forums and it seems like folliculitis because of the hairs and that they are pimples not blisters. One thing that does not add up is the fact that yesterday I noticed one very small whitehead (the size of a pinhead) on the right side and about halfway up my penis shaft which I popped. It hasn't come back as a whitehead but there is still a tiny bump. I'm uncertain because folliculitis is inflammation of hair follicles and there aren't follicles halfway up your penis shaft right? They are random but some of them seem to be clustered rather close. They itch slightly at times and are painful when pressure is applied (the larger whiteheads). Today in the shower I noticed that my lymph nodes may be swollen. I
Your description indeed sounds like folliculitis, not herpes.  Most likely no STD at all--although it is possible that your partner happens to be a staph or strep carrier (many entirely healthy people are), so perhaps the onset after your first sexual experiences isn't coincidental.  In any case, you need to see a health care provider.  I doubt you have anything to be especially scared about, but the only way to relieve that fear is to get a proper diagnosis and, if necessary, treatment.  If you don't have a regular doctor or if cost or insurance are issues for you, call your local health department for advice about the public STD clinic or a community health center.

Good luck--  HHH, MD