STDs Community
Folliculitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Folliculitis

I'm a regular member here, but usually at the Herpes forum since my girlfriend was diagnosed in May. Anyways, my real question is this. I recently thought I had an initial outbreak of Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV2), as I woke up on Sunday with large red sores all over my genital area, including the penis and the pubic region up to my wasteband. They're not particularly painful, but I did scratch the ones on my pubic region and now they are killing me.

I went to the doctor, who inspected them and said that it was either herpes, folliculitis, or syphilis. Herpes seems to be very likely considering my girlfriend has them, syphilis is very unlikely since I was tested clean for them 3 months ago, and I am not sure what folliculitis is. He prescribed me doxycycline, which apparently is a typical medicine for syphilis. I had lesion cultures and swabs taken for HSV2 and folliculitis, and a blood test for syphilis.

Here are my questions:
1) Is folliculitis a STI?
2) I told my girlfriend what my doctor told me, should I reccomend that she be tested for folliculitis?
3) Is folliculitis curable, and if so, what would you reccomend?

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow, hopefully the lab will have my test results.

cheers,
earthzero
1) Is folliculitis a STI?

No, but if its caused by staph, that can be transmitted.

No.

The doxy will help.  Keep the area clean and dry.

Doxy can be for many things other than syphilis.

Aj
hi...about 2 weeks ago i had sex with a woman and she said she didnt have any diseases....i still wore a condom....about 36 hrs later i broke out in a blistery itchy red rash around the base of my penis....is this herpes or folliculitis...im being tested now and pretty worried about it..can herpes show up that fast?