STDs Community
Freaking out - 'cold' for now almost 2 weeks after oral sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Hi there everyone,

On Feb 14th, I had a date with a girl (she's 20, I'm 25). We hung out for a couple hours, and one thing led to another. We gave each other oral sex, and made out and stuff. But no intercourse.

She mentioned her voice was raspy and that she was getting a cold (but did not have one).  Also, she said she's only had one intimate long-term boyfriend before me, and she has never had an STD or STI. But I don't know if she (or he) was ever tested.

The same night (literally 3 hours after being with her), I came down with a terrible sore throat, fever and tiredness. I got swabbed for mono (or strep?) on the 15th, and then on the 19th, HIV (more for my peace of mind I think). The doctors assured me it was nothing to worry about and just a regular cold.

But I'm still not feeling well, and my throat is still a bit sore (today is the 26th, so almost 2 weeks). I also feel a little light-headed and dizzy, and there is some post-nasal drip. I feel tired too sometimes. I'm pretty healthy and usually don't get this sick!

I went to my family doctor today (not the walk-ins), and he had me go for full bloodwork including WBCount, and HEP A, B, C...again, he asked me if I wanted to, in addition to WBcount. I have to wait another week for my results (have not gotten HIV results yet).

I know I've been super-stressed and paranoid and maybe that made my cold/flu or whatever worse, just wondering if it's possible that you guys think I could have caught something?

P.S. my urine test was negative...
The exposure you had was very low risk. I myself have had a cold for nearly two weeks it's just that time of year. I'd urge you to try and relax. I fully expect your results to be negative for any STD/HIV.
Thank you for trying to put me to ease Tony. I've been sooo stressed out and it's really not good!

I guess because although my sore throat has gotten a little better, not much. And I feel dizzy and tired quite a bit...I'm wondering if it could be mono...but then, i don't have white spots on the back of my throat...
Also I know my body feels warm periodically..my lymph nodes seem regular. But I am unable to stop worrying, and the fact I have to wait for the results is adding to my angst... :(
you were never at risk for hiv from this.  you've had no other symptoms suggestive of a std to make it worth any std testing either.

this is a cold like is quite common this time of the year.  don't make more of it than it is.

grace
thanks Grace. my sore throat pretty much gone, but my body was aching this morning and i still feel tired/dizzy...

i definitely will stop reading about stds because the more i read the more freaked out i keep getting lol.  ughh thanks!
the best thing to do is to turn off the computer, call off the crotch watch and go live a life :)  oh and eat chicken soup  loaded with garlic and onions  for your cold :)
looool! thanks so much..
hey everyone, just fyi...turns out i have mono :(. which is weird cuz my throat (although sore) had no white spots on it...

i went to four doctors, and the last one gave me a mono blood test. came positive.

i hope thats ALL it is. so im still kinda worried :/. thanks for helping me.
The only std that could cause the sore throat, etc. would be HIV.  However, if you were to get ARS (early HIV syndrome) that would take at least 2 weeks to develop after your exposure.  In fact, you couldn't have even come down with a cold from that exposure in so short a time.  You actually probably ended up giving that girl mono.  She did not give it to you.  No virus that I know of has an incubation period of only 3 hours.  Relax, get lots of rest and you'll feel better in a few weeks.  
hey ryan, your post making me feel better. ive been so stressed man! i was thinking the SAME thing about the incubation period today! i know for mono, it is apparently 4-6 weeks. i haven't been 'intimate' with anyone else since october of 2012 (and i didn't really kiss them or anything, but i know they've had mono in the past, just found out today.....) - just can't figure out when i would have caught this (maybe guys i play street hockey with? dirty equipment, etc)

she had the sore throat before i met her - maybe the mix of bacteria just flared things up for me? my immunity was quite low before i met her - long hours at school, lack of sleep, too much exercise the day before...

the only other one i've been worried about is HSV because the symptoms are similar? and i've had some itchiness 'down there' the past three days, but its likely a) over analysis or b) the tissue i used at the public washroom (i hope). thanks again and this advice is very helpful for me.