STDs Expert Forum
Frequent urination

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Frequent urination

Doctor,
I have a question about some symptoms that I have never seen addressed anywhere on this site or on other sites. I was wondering if it could be STD related. I have had no discharge, visible sores, burning sensation while urinating, etc.... My only exposure to anyone other than my steady girllfriend was about 30 sec. of unprotected oral sex at a massage parlor four months ago. I was tested for HIV at 4.5 weeks  and it was negative. I also was tested for gonn., chym. and syphilis and all the tests were negative. However, I occassionally get a feeling in my penis that I have to urinate badly. I feel as though I may have an accident and at times it feels as though I am dripping, but it is just  a sensation and there is never any urine or any other discharge in my underwear or noticeable on my penis. When I get the sensation, I go to the bathroom and I can urinate, but nothing in the amount that would suggest the feeling of urgency that I experience. After urinating, the sensation goes away, but it often returns about 15 minutes later and I usually continue to have the sensation until I urinate again. I get the sensation most often when I am at work sitting at a desk or leaning over a table. Is this any type of symptom related to an STD? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Could anxiety cause this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for this great service and the time you volunteer.
Your symptoms don't sound like any STD; and although continous symptoms like that could indicate a urinary tract infection, the intermittent nature rules that out.

Although I'm not an expert in this area, your symptoms sound typical for idiopathic (ie, cause unknown) bladder spasm.  It is most common in older men (and women) and increases in frequency with age; it is the condition highlighted in recent direct-to-consumer advertisements for "bladder problems".  You don't say your age, but some cases can start in peole in their 20s or 30s.  I don't know enough to predict whether early onset predicts increasing problems with age.  You should post your question on the MedHelp urology forum; or speak with your own health care provider.

In the meantime, don't worry about STD as a possible cause.  Good luck--  HHH, MD
I too had this problem and I tested negative for all STDs.  I went to a urinologist and she stated I just had an overactive bladder.  The other problem might be an enlarged prostate.  My problem lasted about three weeks and it eventually went back to normal.  I think anxiety contributes to the problem.
I just got over this as well.  I DEFINITELY think it's anxiety\stress realated.  I went to the doctor and checked out fine for STDs, and once I stopped concentrating and thinking about my frequent urination it stopped.
Just a thought, but it could be a problem with your bladder such as a UTI or Interstitial Cystitis.
Stress may have a prominent effect on symptoms.  For example, some people have more urgency as access to relief increases; they do fine when it's impossible to get up and pee (e.g., in an airplane with seatbelts required) and then have severe urgency as soon as an opportunity presents itself (seatbelt sign goes off--just as 10 other people also head to the john!).  But stress and psychology are not the primary cause; it is a physiologic condition.  (All this from a non-expert.)

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Frequent Urination was started.