STDs Expert Forum
Friction or Herpes?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Friction or Herpes?

I'm 30 yr old male and I had oral and vaginal sex a couple of time in the same night, unprotected, with a women 7 days ago whilst on holiday.  She was not a pro.

The following day I whilst mastuebating I thought it'd be great idea to lub with some cheap shampoo without any water. This went on for a while and was quite vigourus.

The following day I strated feeling a burning sensation at the tip of my penis.  I return Monday just and went striaght to a doc who gave me test for gon, chlymid, and some nu thing which return yesterday all clear.  He gave me on monday 4 anti biotics beginig with Z and stated that the syptoms (symptoms) should go Wed/Thur.  

The didn't!

I noticed last night whilst checking my penis tip 3 tiny red pimples and freaked. I recall seeing them there a few days ago but thought nothing of it.  Went to be doc today and he's swabed for herpes and I find out soon. I told him about the shampoo and he said that the pimples do not look sinister!

My worry is that I still have the burning feeling and it's not giving up. It's been 6 days since the shampoo incident.

1. Your thoughts would be great.
2. could the pimples and soreness be herpes?
3. COuld I have caused some damage whith the shampoo which would last this long / need treatment?
4. If I get the all clear on Herpes assume all's well?

Thanks for your advice.

The painful urination probably resulted from gettig some shampoo into the urethral opening.  All soaps are very irritating to the urethra, and it could take a few days for the discomfort to go away - however, 6 days is a bit too long. I doubt you acquired any infection from the sexual exposure you describe, and your negative gonorrhea and chlamydia tests are reassuring.

If the pimple-like lesions are new since you saw your doctor, return and let him examine you. I suppose it could either be herpes or irritation from the masturbation incident, or something else entirely; I have no way of knowing.  Painful urination could indicate herpes.

Bottom line:  return to your doctor.  To answer your last question:  if you don't have herpes, I doubt you have any STD.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a very slight tingling in my throat. Could this be related?
I doubt your throat symptoms have anything to do with the penile problem.

HHH, MD
Thank you for your response.  Can I clarify some areas.

The pimples were noticed at least a day after both sex/masturbation but not concidered a problem until I investigated herpes.

Do tiny red pimples not chaninging since the incedent spound like herpes? Is it possible to have herpes when the only symptom is burning tip?

Thanks once agian.
Sorry just ready your comments again.  I do not really get pain when urinating - more of a constent pain when sitting down!
Unchanging pimples (or just red spots?) do not sound like herpes.  The pain you describe now sounds more like anxiety (magnifying otherwise normal body sensations) than anything esle.  But seeing a health care provider is the only way to get a definitive answer; I can only speculate.

HHH, MD
Hey there
  I read your questions, comments and concerns. My boyfriend and I both have herpies (herpes). What you are describing is what happens to both of us when we get a break out. We have both been swab tested before we knew eachother and by diff. Dr's and both came up NEG. The Dr. said that they rarely take blood because it will show all herpies (herpes) including cold sores (which almost everybody has). When he jacks off or we have sex and there is to much friction and or not enough moisture he or I will get a break out and it is 1 or a cluster of little red or clear bumps... DO NOT mess with them you will make it spread, hurt more and last longer. We will also get them when we stress out. Those last longer than the ones caused by friction. Probably because they are internal. We have learned to feel when we are about to get a break out too, The area will itch and then shortly after you will have an (owie). It is not contagious IF you do not have a break out at the time of intercourse so make sure that it is completley gone before having any type of sexual encounter. You know it is gone when it no longer itches in the area. Sometiems you will not see or feel the bump but you will feel a slight tickle where it is at, Wait till that sensation is GONE .

Good luck
does anyone know how long it takes to have anykind of symtoms (symptoms) of herpes on the penis?