STDs Community
Fungal Rash or Herpes?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Fungal Rash or Herpes?

Hey Doctor,

Early June I had protected sex with a girl. I  was dating her and we also performed oral sex many times and our genitals have come into contact with eachothers unprotected at times. I broke up wit her and a few weeks following in the middle of June I broke out with a red rash on my pubic area. The rash was like a red sunburn, it burned, but had no lesions. My anxiety was at an all time high and went to see my doctor. She said it is not herpes rash and gave me a steroid fungal cream. It helped by soothing it and it disappeared within 10-14 days with no open wounds or lesions. I shaved after it was gone and apparently 4-5 red bumps, which have been here over 2 months maybe, appeared. They were red, swollen, no head to them, they did not burn, itch or ooze. My doctor said it can be folliculitis, a infection of the hair follicle. I saw a derm. and they confirmed it but did not run any tests. The pubic area occasionally burns and is very warm at times on and off. My doctor gave me an std test, excluding herpes, and it all came back negative. My question is 1) Can that steroid cream, if the rash was a herpes rash, soothe the burning and make the rash go away like that? 2) Its been over 2 months and my anxiety is better but I am still scared. Do you think I should put the idea of having herpes to rest. I never had open wounds or anything so far.
  • Rash (7 replies):
    I have a rash all over my body. It started on Sunday ab...[more]
  • Ars rash (8 replies):
    Hi Everyone, i hope you are all well. I was wondering...[more]
  • Rash (1 replies):
    Hello, I was wondering what the qualities of an ARS Ras...[more]
  • rash (1 replies):
    Hi, I developed a rash on the shaft of my penis last we...[more]
  • Rash (1 replies):
    I have a rash in my private part.. It is all red on the ...[more]