STDs Expert Forum
Fungus on penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Fungus on penis

I am curious how one could get a fungus on the penis.  It is very small, on the left side only, and no pimples nor puss.

In my case, my std tests are negative and I took the 4 pill and one shot regimen just in case,

My only exposure out of the normal is going into a massage parlor and receiving hand and unprotected oral.

A urologist checked me out and said the fungus was not std related.  He prescribed me Nystatin and Triamcinolone which seems to be working.  

I do have an inflamed prostate which is being treated with Cipro 500mg twice a day.  My pain is much less than a week ago, though a shooting pain in the groin rarely occurs.

Dr, if you could give me an honest assessment, I would appreciate it.

I choose to pay a second time, rather than continue my previous post.  I believe in payment of services rendered.  

Thank you.
Einstein said "One definition of insanity is to do the same thing again and again and expect different results".  Your repetitive questions are not going to change my assessment or the advice I provide. In fact, I find it offensive that you feel the need to say "Dr, if you could give me an honest assessment, I would appreciate it." - do you really think I was not being forthright earlier?  I am confident you will get a similar answer to the repetitive question you received on the International Forum.  

Thus- no change to my original assessment of advice.

As for your question about fungus, I will address it.  Fungal infections are not STDs.  Most people's bodies have small amounts of fungus present.  Most fungal infections are chance events.  In addition however, when people take antibiotics, and you have taken lots, you kill off normal helpful bacterial which help to keep the fungus present from over growing.  This may have contributed to the fungal infection your urologist has noted.  

I hope this helps and you will be able to put your concerns to rest.  EWH
Dr. Hook, I did not know you would be the same doctor that would give me advise.  I deeply apologize if you thought that statement was specific to you.  I understand there is another doctor on this site, perhaps others. I was speaking in generalities, I swear.  Please accept my apologies.
Dr. Hook, I had no idea you read the international forum.  I was only looking for reassurance or, at least a second opinion.  Please do not be offended.
I have put aside my std worries and am focused (perhaps abnormally so) on why I have an inflammed prostate and fungus which you have kindly addressed).  I'd like to know how the inflammed prostate could have happened?  It is all so coincidental, though becoming more understandable, thanks to you and my study of this forum.

Sincerest apologies, many thanks.
Your prostatitis may have well been a coincidence.  Rember, there is no evidence that you acquired an STD through the events that occurred at the massage parlor.  As for the prostatits, while even some clinicians think that prostatitis as sometimes being an STD, the fact is that the best research suggests that less than 1% of prostatitis is due to STDs.  

EWH
If the Cipro does not work, how should the urologist proceed to treat me?  Is there a course of treatment you recommend?
Do I rule out herpes?
Dr. Hook, any thoughts on my two previous posts?
You need to be patient.  The MedHelp standard is to answer questions within 24 hours.  We do far better than this.

Treatment of prostatitis is something you should discuss with the doctor who is treating you. There are many approaches.  If you have prostatitis, it is not uncommon to need several courses of antibiotics.

I recommend against testing for HSV.  You have no reason for concern about HSV and in your situation you mathematical risk is greater than your likelihood of having acquired HSV.

This thread needs to end.  It appears that each answer just feeds your (unwarranted) anxiety.  EWH