STDs Community
GC and Chlamydia Negative

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

GC and Chlamydia Negative

About 10 days ago, I had less than a minute of unprotected sex (We quickly realized a tear in condom). I quickly and discreetly washed my hands and penis with antibacterial soap.

Nonetheless, not more than 36 hours later, I had a whitish discharge and some aching in the groin area. I went to a lab for a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia 5 days after the incident. The test was a urine test. They came back negative.

I went to a doctor who thought it may be prostatitis (finger in rear end and tender prostate) and prescribed cipro for one month-500g/2x per day.

Here's my concern...a std wouldn't show up that soon would it? Was I too soon in testing? Is urine test as good as a swab? Is there a high occurence of false negatives with the urine test? If its not chlamydia or gonorrhea, it coulf be a NGU, but wouldn't those most likely be an ecoli, staph, or strep? If so, cipro should work? Its been 4 days of cirpo, there is no more discharge, but still aching in groin area and slight itching.

Really just wondering if this all makes sense and the treatment seems right. I thought zithromax would have been better, but doesn't that just really treat chlamydia anyway?

Sorry for the lengthy discussion.
It takes at least 2 days for symptoms and 5 days is enough for a accurate test. A urine test is no different then a urine test as long as the urine test was done correctly...did not urinated at least 1hr before urine for the test and got the start of the urine not in mid stream. False negatives are very rare.
Could it be NGU...possible but from the time frame symptoms started...probably not. And yes those are the most likely causes of NGU and your medication might work on it. Since discharge is gone that is a good sign. If symptoms presist 1 week after medication is finished or get worse the follow up with your Dr.