STDs Expert Forum
Genital Herpes TranSmission

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Genital Herpes TranSmission

Hello Doctors, I want to first thank-you for these forums and the work you do in the medical field...  I just have a quick question:

I have HSV-1 and get cold sores every now and than... I had a sexual encounter with a female about 30 days ago. There was no penetration involved. I basically rubbed her wet vagina with my hands but then I used the same hand to stroke my penis. She also performed oral sex on me. After this encounter she told me she has genital herpes and HPV...  I am worried now...

What are the chances of me getting genital herpes and HPV?  ... Ever since that encounter I've had no unusual symptoms and overall my body feels fine.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment but before I do, I wonder, did you get the HSV antibody test that Terri recommended related to your prior post.  The reason I ask is that HSV can be mis-identified as other sorts of skin conditions and I note that you have penile eczema.  

As for your risks, the encounter you describe is quite low risk and not something to worry about.  Transfer of STDs for one person to another through the transfer of genital secretions on a person's hands is virtually unheard of (I have never seen such a case but I suppose it is theoretically possible).

On the other hand, as a sexually active man, you are quite likely to already have HPV- over 80% of sexually active persons do, even if they do not have visible warts.  EWH
Doctors, thank-you so much for following up with the situation that happened to me about 2 years ago!   That was some ordeal. My doctor first diagnosed me with genital herpes when he looked at my penis. However, the Zovirax cream and Valtrex tablets did nothing to help the lesions heal. He eventually told me to rub Fluocinonide on my penis and the sores and irritation quickly went away. I took an allergy blood test and discovered I’m allergic to many different things. My doctor said this might have contributed to the way the skin on my penis broke out…

I suppose I won’t worry about being infected with HPV since you stated it’s a very common disease and since I have no symptoms that I am aware of…

I was just really concerned about contracting genital herpes because although I’ve heard that genital to genital contact poses a higher risk sometimes in life anything can happen…  I’m going to get a blood test for HSV-2 soon. Hopefully, it’s negative.
I agree that with your history of lesions it is reasonably worrisome for herpes.  A blood test is reasonable.  EWH