STDs Expert Forum
Genital Pimples

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Genital Pimples

I am a 35yr old male. The past couple of months, I have been developing genital pimples. These pimples start off very small, and hard. Some are clustered together, many are just seperate single pimples. Some have puss in them, others(most) have a very hard white core. I don't pop many of them, but was curious. Most are located at the base of my penis/scrodum and pubic area. But recently I have noticed about 5/6 on my penis. They are not painful, they do not itch and do not blister/break on their own. And as I said, they have been there for around 2 months unless I pop them, then they heal and go away. They do bleed quite a bit after popping them. But they do seem to be multiplying slowly. I did have unprotected sex about 10 months ago, but that has been it. I know I should get them checked out, but was hoping it was just some fungi and would go away.
Through researching, the best guess I have is it could be molluscum. Any information would be great.
You may be right, but from your description I can't distinguish between molluscum contagiosum and acne/folliculitis.  It doesn't sound very much like a fungal infection, or like any STD other than molluscum.  Follow through on your plan to see a health care provider; if cost is an issue, you might start with your local health department STD clinic.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
If it would be molluscum, is there a cure or over the counter meds? Is this a reacurring thing or a one time outbreak. How long would/could it last?
Should I go to my regular MD or a dermatoligist?
Thanks again
Also, as I said...it has had been at least 6-8 months the last time I may have been exposed to Molluscum....does it take that long for it to appear?
One last question.....if I pop these, does it cause them to spread if it is indeed molluscum?
Molluscum should be treated; it will resolve on its own, but it can take a long time, with lots of secondary spread around a broader area of skin.  The incubation period for MC hasn't been well studied, but probably usually a few weeks; 6-8 mo. is a long time and suggests another diagnosis.  Yes local spread is possible, but the risk is reduced by careful washing afterward with an anti-infective soap.

Please see a health care provider; don't try to diagnose and treat it on your own.

HHH, MD
Thanks for your info, really appreciate it. One last question I have. After doing some more reading, it seems this is much more similar to Folliculitis. The bumps first started appearing after I had used a straight edge razor for the first time around the area where the largest breakout occured. And the pimples do not resemble Molluscum, they do not have the indentation in the center. But my question is, would folliculitis spread, and if so, even onto the shaft of my penis??
And yes, I have made an appt. with the doctor.
Thanks again!!
Hey, I have had molluscum and even after your last post it seems like it is it. Yeah, it spreads after shaving like crazy and has an indented center. The remedy I have found for getting rid of them is inexpensive and you can do it in your own home without having to be embarrassed by going to the doctor. If you have a radio shack near by go and pick up a can of velocity it is an air compressed canister for cleaning your computer or electronics. When you get home have a drink or two then lift the canister upside down and spray directly on the outbreaks. It will be very painful but you need to do it for a couple seconds on each. They do the same thing at the doctor
would this cannister idea work for warts also