STDs Community
Genital Warts

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Genital Warts

What is the incubation period of genital warts? Are their any precursors or indicators of infection?

What is the first outbreak typically like?

When would a person first become infectious?
I have read that genital warts go away on their own after approximately 2 years.

Is this true?
How long after exposure can one be tested for Genital Warts?
I don't know of the minimum incubation period, I've heard low predictions of a few days (don't quote me on that my source isn't great) but they can take months to years to show.  

Indicators include initial itching, reddening or soarness (not necessary but may occur) followed by the formation of tiny bubble like clusters, or flat shiny, slightly raised bumps.

You're infectious as soon as the HPV virus enters the skin cells and begins to replicate.  Most infected people don't know they are infected so it's hard to pin point just when they became infected or are infectous.

Usually the body fights off the infection, but you can still spread it before you fight it off. If you have symptoms (ie warts) you should have them removed to minimize your capasity to spread them.  Warts may not be fought off and can spread without medical attention.  

HPV, the virus causing warts, can cause cervical canser in females so if warts are present, get medical attention.
Hi there -

Most HPV infections are without symptoms, so you may never get symptoms of it.  If you do, you will see warts on your genitals.

There is no test for men and HPV.  

Yes, it will go away on its own.

Vance asked you earlier today to keep everything in one thread.  That means ask all your questions by adding new questions to an already existing thread of yours.  Its easier for us to keep up with that way, and we don't have to search to see what your risk and history are.

You had protected sex, so its unlikely that you will get HPV from this.  Condoms reduce the risk by about 70%.
Thank you.

I did not see any warts on my partner, but i don't know if there were some hidden inside her. If this person had warts, I am assuming that I would display the same symptoms since it's the same strain?

I have had anxiety attacks and alot of trouble sleeping since this encounter. I've never experienced anything like this and I don't know how to handle it. I am extremely concerned regarding additional contamination.

You had protected sex, right?

Really, there is little to worry about here.  I'm more concerned about your disproportionate reaction to this than your risk for stds.  It sounds like you need to talk to your doctor about anxiety.

You might get similar symptoms, but it works differently in every person.  I could have genital warts, have unprotected sex with you, and for whatever reason, you might not get warts.

HPV is very common, and if you weren't exposed by this person, you have probably been by someone else.  80% will have it in their lifetimes.  Dr. Handsfield in our expert forums says its a virtual certainty that people will get it.  No one wants it, but there's just not a big reason to freak out about it either.

Aj
I just want to say thanks again for all the advice, patience, and understanding that you guys have provided. I have only had 2 long-term partners before this, and I really don't know how I would be handling this without your input.

With your help, I have managed to keep myself on a more even-keel over the last few days, but I still get carried away from time to time. I will definitely take your advice and bring anxiety up with my doctor when I go for my follow-up.

My main reason for concern is that I found a towel with a small amount of blood on it after we were done. I am assuming she used this towel to wipe her genitals.

As I mentioned, I have been treated for Gonorrhea as of today. Is this a possible / probably reason for the blood after sex? Is this an additional cause for concern?

And to answer your question - Unprotected Oral / Protected Vaginal.
Maybe she cut her legs shaving?  I think its a big leap to think its from her genitals.

What after sex blood?  Do you mean you saw blood on her after sex?  On you?  Or do you mean just on the towel?

Sorry for the confusion.

I mean that I found the towel in my bathroom shortly after she left.

The blood was only on the towel.

I am assuming that it came from her genitals based on the shape / amount of the blood stain and the fact that she was not visibly bleeding.
Oh so she used your towel after, got blood on it and left?

She could have post-sex bleeding with gonorrhea.

AJ
Correct.

Thank you again for all of the information. I will follow-up with you guys after my tests and/or if I get anymore symptoms.
Another question -

Before being tested this morning, there was zero - unnoticeable discomfort while urinating - only smell.

The doctor had to swab test me due to lack of discharge. I understand that the tip of my urethra will experience some discomfort due to the swab.

Since I was treated w/ a shot & antibiotics today, any idea how long it will take for this discomfort / burning to pass? Also, there is now a constant discomfort in (what I assume is) my bladder.
Is the initial incubation time of genital herpes affected if I already have cold sores?

What is the typical initial incubation time?
Yes, if you already have hsv1, you might not get a noticeable outbreak, but you had protected sex right?

Your chances of getting herpes 2 from a one time protected encounter are very very slim.  If she had herpes 2, and you were in a long term relationship, and all you did was avoid sex during an outbreak, your chances of getting it would be 4% a YEAR.  You do the math to figure out how unlikely it is to get it from her if she had no sores.

Really, you are overly freaking here.

Aj
Freaking. Noted. Thank you.
Earlier today, I spoke with my doctor (we are on a military base, and eat in the same facility).

After chatting for a while, he told me that he did not think I contracted Gonorrhea from my partner's mouth, but from her vagina.

The reason he thinks this is because I was heavily, deep-kissing my partner, and if she had oral Gonorrhea, I should have contracted it during that time. He believes at some point during our encounter, that her fluids may / must have come into contact with the head of my penis.

Please elaborate on his idea that if my partner had oral Gonorrhea, that I should have oral infections by now.
She could have had it orally and tramsitted it to you via oral sex.  Gonorrhea isn't transmitted by kissing.

Aj
I'm not aware of this being a symptom of an STD, but since it just happened, I thought I would ask.

My nipples used to be very pink (my entire life, up to at least 2 weeks ago). I just noticed that they are now dark brown.

Any ideas what would cause this and if the affects are permanent?

You are studying your body way too hard.  This is not a symptom of anything I know of, certainly not of an std.

Aj
I am now 7 days post-exposure and have developed a fever along with itching (no visible rash) on my arms and thighs.

I am extremely tired. Last night I slept 12 hours and today, I found myself trying to nod-off after being awake for only 8-9 hours.

I have developed nausea, lost my appetite, and am forcing myself to eat so I don't alarm friends and family.

What could this be?
How long after treatment should the symptoms of Gonorrhea disappear?

I no longer notice the discharge in my underwear in the morning, the smell seems to have faded, and I rarely have any discomfort while urinating (very minor and brief, if any). However, I feel relatively constant, mild discomfort around my bladder and occasionally in my testicles.
It can take up to 7 days.

Aj
I drank some grape fruit juice earlier this week. What effect could this have on me since I am on antibiotics currently?

Also, at what point should I assume that I have a UTI or that my treatment was not effective? The pain that I am feeling in my bladder seems to be increasing.
You'd have to talk to your pharmacist to find out about your antibiotic interacting with grapefruit juice.

If your symptoms are worsening, you need to get checked.  

I don't know how much more we can offer you.  You had protected sex, so this isn't going to be an std.

Aj
I stopped by the clinic yesterday and had a urinalysis. The doctor told me that there were no signs of infection.

They said my discomfort was due to dehydration from the diarrhea I've had from my antibiotics. I hydrated, and the discomfort seems to have passed today.

At this point, I believe that my antibiotics may have contributed to or caused a yeast infection. In the morning, I have a white film on my glans (glands), and there is a strong odor coming from my perineum before showering (I have to throw out my wash cloth each day due to the odor). The rest of the day, my glans (glands) is shiny and sticky. I have not noticed a rash, but my perineum is irritated and I'm unable to check.

Does this sound like the early stages of a yeast infection? How would you suggest treating this?

It does sound like a yeast or fungal infection.  There are several over the counter products you can try, or talk to your doctor about a prescription.  Up to you.

Aj
hello

i took your advice, and it seems to have helped my symptoms, but my genital area still smells noticably bad when i wake up and itches and burns until i take a shower and apply cream. is this normal?

i've started to notice small red bumps - one on my wrist, a few on my elbows, and a few around my knees and inner thighs.

i have not noticed any bumps around my genitals, only irritation.

Throughout the day, i don't notice the bumps alot, but in the morning, they itch like crazy especially the ones on my legs. do you have any suggestions?
I think you need to see a dermatologist.  It sounds like maybe the fungal infection is spreading.

Aj
i checked with the doc on my new areas, he said that they were spider bites. I have noticed alot of spiders in my quarters lately.

when i went to shower today, where my groin meets my leg, i now have small bumps that look like pimples and a few things that look like skin tags. these are new. what could these be?
also i have been treating both sides of my groin where it meets my leg for standard fungal infection. could this be a symptom of fungal infection?
I went to the doc today. He used cryo treatment on a confirmed wart on my toe and possible wart where my groin meets my right leg.

The possible wart was shaped like a skin tag. The doctor stated that based on the size of the growth and the depth of the cryo treatment, he feels that there will be no reoccurence at this site - assuming it was a wart.

My questions now - is it likely that a wart would have grown to the size of a small skin tag in approximately 3 and a half weeks?

Assuming these are warts, how do reoccurences work? Will I have these outbreaks all of my life? Is there a way to get rid of this permanently?
?