STDs Expert Forum
Giving Oral Sex with Condoms

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Giving Oral Sex with Condoms
Hi Dr.

I gave oral sex to a man but he wore a condom. The act lasted for about 15 minutes.  I made sure I sucked the part of the penis with the condom all the time.

I would like to know what are the risks (high risk, low risk, zero risk) for the following STDs:

1) HIV
2) HPV
3) HSV-1 & HSV-2
4) Gonnorhea
5) Chlamydia.

Thank you in advance for you reply.

Jay
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Even without a condom, the risk from oral for all the STDs you mention is very low.  With a condom there is no chance:  zero risk for all.  You do not need testing for anything, and if you have a regular partner you can safely continue unprotected sex with that person.

In case you are interested, here is a link to a thread that discusses condom effectiveness for all STDs (although it is primarily oriented to vaginal or anal sex, not oral):

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/How-safe-are-condoms-when-used-correctly/show/665887

Best wishes--  HHH, MD