STDs Community
Gonorrhea Question.

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Gonorrhea Question.

Hello all,

I have an issue. I have a new sex partner and after the first time we had sex the next day I had a horrible odor. I assumed it was BV so I went to the doctor and told him my symptoms and he agreed. (Also went for a completely unrelated issue) He didn't run any tests but gave me some medicine (generic for Flagyl) for it. So the odor went away along with the excessive discharge so I thought all was dandy. Incidentally I went to the doctor again the following week for an infected piercing (which I've had for about 6 years without infection) and took meds for that (generic for Bactrim). Now this past Friday I went back to the doctor because the smelly odor came back along with a funny colored discharge (this was all within the past 3 1/2 to 4 weeks mind you) but this time the doctor did a pelvic exam. The results came back positive for BV as well as Gonorrhea (no Chlamydia). The only symptom I've had for the Gonorrhea was the yellow-green discharge. My question(s) are:

1. Could I have had the Gonorrhea all this time and not known it and the BV triggered the discharge symptom? (No Gonorrhea symptoms prior to this and my previous relationship was monogamous & lasted 3 years with no incidence of Gonorrhea or any symptoms from me or my boyfriend.)

2. I alerted my partner of my test results. While he admitted that I was not the only one he was sleeping with (1 other female) he insisted that I was the only one he didn't use protection with. If I believe that, when would symptoms in him show up? He stated to me that he went to the doctor in August to get checked out and he was fine. (We didn't start sleeping together until late September. Between then I don't know of any of his dealings)

3.  What happens if he comes back negative? Does that mean I gave it to him or his cleared up on its own? As I am afraid that if he comes back negative I will be blamed for it and after 3 years (with my ex) of no symptoms I'd have to question when I actually contracted it. (I'd also have to send out apologies as I naturally blamed my current partner)

4. What if the other female (who was allegedly alerted also) comes back positive and he comes out negative? Is that possible?

5. What is the likely hood of a false positive?

I think I asked all the questions I've had. I know it's long but I really appreciate everyone's input. Also if you need more info please feel free to let me know but I have tried to be thorough.
1. Can't say what BV might have done for gonorrhea symptoms, btu normally symptoms appear within 1 week.

2. If he gets symptoms which is likely they would happen within 1 week.

3. If he is negative then probably a flase positive for you

4. Yes it is possible but then he probabvly treated it at some point

5. Possible with another infection like BV
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers