STDs Community
Gonorrhea and Cipro

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Gonorrhea and Cipro

Good day;

About two weeks ago I had unprotected sexual intercourse with my partner. A week after I started noticing a burning sensation when I passed urine and a discharge. I went to see the doctor right away and he diagnosed gonorrhea. He prescribed me 2 doses of Cipro XR 1000mg to be taken twice a day. That was 4 days ago and I'm still feeling the same symptoms. Yesterday,  I went to see my family doctor and he prescribed me 2 more doses of Cipro 750mg along with 7 doses of Doxycycline 100mg to be taken twice a day. So far I'm still having the symptoms.

Do I have to wait more time for the medicines to take effect, or is it possible that the infection might be resistant to the treatment? Also, are the treatments for rectal gonorrhea the same, or if not, which are such treatments?

Thanks in advance.
How were you diagnosed with gonorrhea?  If it wasn't through a test, you might not even have it.

However, your doctor should be treating you with a shot of ceftriaxone.  Many strains of gonorrhea are now resistant to cipro, and he can continue to increase the dose, and its still not going to work.

Aj
He looked at my penis and saw the discharge, along with my description of the symptoms. I also went to a lab to have a sample taken to determine what kind of infection it was.

Regarding the shot of Ceftriaxone, does it cures the infection with only one dose? or does it requires a constant treatment?

Thaks.
Its one dose.

Have your lab tests confirmed gonorrhea?  

Aj
I'm still waiting the lab results.

Is there a possibility that it might be some other infection?

LCFR
I was tested for gonorrhea but the results aren't out yet. They also gave me a smear test and found an infection. Possibly chlamydia. I was given 3 of the 500ml ceftriaxone on three consecutive days. They also precribed me doxycline tablets, which has to be consumed twice a day. How long does it take for the bacteria to clear up fully in my system? Is it normal for me to experience a low sex drive. I haven't been able to get a fully erected penis for awhile now, since i felt discomfort while i urinate. Is this normal? I'm pretty worried about it.
LCFR - it could be chlamydia or NGU.

Timann -

It will take up to a week or so for symptoms to resolve.  If you have further questions, you should start your own thread.

Aj
Does Chlamydia and NGU also produces penile discharge?
Yes they both can.

I must have missed it yesterday, but if you are unable to get fully erect, you might want to see your doc to get a prostate exam.

Aj
Well, the problem is this, while we (my partner and I) were taking Doxycycline we both stopped having discharges, one day after we finished our 4 day treatment of Doxy, the discharges returned. I had penile discharges and my partner had anal discharges. (i forgot to mention this early, but we are two gay men)

Regarding the lab results, due to a problem with my health insurance i could not receive the results. I'm getting tested again to see what do i actually have.
sorry - I had a full erection about 2 days ago, right before the discharges started.
4 days isn't long enough to cure chlamydia, and it won't cure gonorrhea.

You'd need a 7 day course of doxy for chlamydia, and 1 shot of ceftriaxone if its gonorrhea.  Your tests should be back soon.  I'd call them tomorrow and find out what the results are.

Your symptoms are probably returning because neither of you are being treated properly.  

AJ
If the Cipro treatment was not effective, then no other fluoroquinolone antibacterial antibiotic would work, right? such as Ofloxacin.

If while I was using Doxy, the symptoms disappeared, then would that be an indicator of Chlamydia rather than Gonorrhea? Would you recommend going back to Doxy?

I'm getting tested again tomorrow, since i had problems earlier with the first test.
Right.  That's why the only treatment the CDC recommends is ceftriaxone.

I would wait to see what the tests prove.  Unfortunately, you have taken antibiotics, which might give you false negative results.  I would still keep the appt and at least talk to the doctor.  

If you have a discharge still, they might be able to test that, if not the urine.

Do not urinate for at least an hour, preferably 2, before going in.

Aj
From personal experience chlamydia and gonorrhea are treated with different antibiotics. I  
started getting discharge 3 days ago, went to see a doctor 2 days ago, and since they did not know what it was i was given antibiotics for chlamydia (azithromycin 2 tablets) and benzathine penicillin injection for gonorrhea. After taking azithromycin, symptoms were nearly gone in 24hrs ( i hope because of the tablets).
Possibly you were not treated for the right condition??