STDs Expert Forum
Gonorrhea and chlamydia treatment

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Gonorrhea and chlamydia treatment

Hello Doctor...Happy Holidays. I will try to make this fast.

Almost 2 months ago I received unprotected fellatio from a woman I don't know. No ejaculation. After the encounter, I became paranoid that I contracted an STD like gonorrhea or chlamydia or both, and I went to a doctor, who treated me with 2 grams of Zithromax taken in 8 pills all at once. I did not get tested at this time which I now know was a mistake.

12 days after taking the Zithromax I went to a clinic to be tested because I wanted to be sure I was cured. The clinic did a urethral swap for both Gon. and Chlam. and the results were negative. My questions:

1. Was the 2 grams of Zithromax enought to kill any Gon. or Chlam. I might have contracted?

2. I have read that the Zithromax could effect the test results.  Can my test result be considered reliable, considering that I took the test 12 days after the 2 grams of Zithromax? Are the tests used today sensitive enough that I can trust my negative result?

Thank you.
The risk of any STD from that single exposure was low; but if you were exposed to gonorrhea or other bacteria, you can be certain the azithromycin would have prevented infection (or cured it if an infection had already started). (Chlamydia is not an issue; throat/mouth infection is rare and oral sex has never been known to result in chlamydial infection.)  Your test result are reliable and you don ot need further testing.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you doc. Just to be completely clear...my negative test result 12 days after the Zithromax IS definately reliable and I DO NOT need any further testing? Just want to mkake sure I am understanding your advice correctly.Thank you. Happy Holidays
As I said above, "Your test results are reliable and you do not need further testing,"

HHH, MD
Thank you doctor. Happy Holidays.
Don't mean to scare you... Are you not concerned about HIV? from this exposure. Again i don't mean to worry you.
Why would he be concerned about HIV from receiving fellatio? The chances of contracting HIV from a blowjob are pretty much nil.