STDs Expert Forum
Gonorrhea of the Mouth

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Gonorrhea of the Mouth

My scenerio is this I had protected vaginal sex and gave oral sex with a by me drink girl one night 5 weeks ago in Japan. 2 weeks ago I had a urine screen that was negative.

Questions are
What are the symptoms of gonorreehea of the mouth.

I had a urine screen for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia If I have Gonorrhea of the throat would it be detected in a urine screen.

My throat is slightly irritatted dry not really soar just dry and I feel like I need to swallow. What kind of test is required for Gonorrhea of the throat, how is it treated and can it go away on it's own. Can it be spread by kissing, I think my guilt is giving me symtoms (symptoms)

I think thats all my questions

Oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection).  Gonorrhea can also be acquired by giving oral sex but this too is quite rare.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.

As for your specific questions regarding oral gonorrhea-
1.  Most oral gonorrhea (GC) is asymptomatic and is detected only by testing.  the proper test for oral GC is a swab culture taken from the throat.

Oral GC would not be detected by a urine test.

I agree that your symptoms are most likely due to a combination of guilt and anxiety.  When present, many oral gonorrhea infections do go away without treatment.  When we know it is present however, the preferred treatment is a single injection of ceftriaxone.

Hope this helps.  Take care.  EWH
1 Comment
A related discussion, GONORRHEA OR OTHER STD MAYBE was started.
i am a female and my boyfriend gave me clymedia and gonorrhea over two yrs ago... i have got clymedia back a few times... they havent said anything about the gonorrhea in a while... well i just got treated for the clymedia... i still have protected sex with him and recieved unprotected oral sex from him once... is it possible i contracted the std or stds again...
A related discussion, Coincidence or guilt? was started.
A related discussion, oral sex question was started.