STDs Community
Gonorrhea treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Gonorrhea treatment

Ok, first off I know this was idiotic of me, so here it goes...
I am pretty sure I've been infected with gonorrhea for a few years now, and just failed to get tested until now. I'm a gay male, and have been with my partner for the last few years. I've been reading about emerging antibiotic resistant gonorrhea. I am DEATHLY afraid of injections and I see that the current recommended treatment is a single dose injection of Rocephin 250mg. Since I want to avoid an injection at all costs, I spoke to the clinician about possible alternative treatment options. She agreed to prescribe me Cefixime 400mg, and Azithromycin. After doing a bit of research, I've read where Cefexime was an effective source or treatment for urogenital and anorectal gonorrhea. However, it says pharyngeal gonorrhea is more difficult to treat and Cefexime is not recommended. After further research, I read that Azithromycin 2g could effectively treat pharyngeal gonorrhea for people with allergies to cepholosporins. My question is, seeing as how the clinician prescribed me both oral antibiotics, what are the chances it would treat and cure all three infected areas without having to receive the much dreaded injection of Rocephin? Since I do believe I have been infected for several years without treatment, I would hope that I contracted it prior to some of these resistant strains emerging now. Also, I worry because of the length of time that I have possibly been infected, will these courses of treatment work or could I have a more complicated case of gonorrhea that could not be treated with these meds? Any help you can offer is much appreciated.
Tags: Gonorrhea
You would not have gonorrhea for a few years now. It would have either cleared the body or you would have some other serious health issues.
Are you a health professional? I'm just wondering because gonorrhea does not go away on its own without medication. I know that for a fact. If I had it for years, but remained untreated, it would cause complications, to which it has. I now have arthritis in my knees as a result. The most recent information that I've read via the CDC website says that if I have arthritis due to gonorrhea complications, it requires hospitalization and IV drugs. Now I'm really freaking out! I'm afraid I waited too long to see oral medication and now I may have to be admitted to the hospital got treatment.