STDs Community
HELP! Treatment of Scabies

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HELP! Treatment of Scabies

Two weeks ago I noticed red bumps emerge on my penis as well as a rather painful irritation after having sex. Several bumps became many, and after two weeks or so my penis was covered in extremely irritated lesions and welts. At first I thought I had herpes, but my girlfriend and I were recently blood tested for it (less than a month ago) and I suppose you'll have to take my word for it that neither of us has been sleeping around since that time.

My girl's mom is a nurse, and she had a doctor take a quick look at me as his shift was ending. He told me I had a male yeast infection and wrote me a script for difulcan and told me to apply monistat or other vaginal yeast creams to my penis every night.

A week later and I still had no relief, infact things had gotten worse. In doing my own frantic research of every kind of STD or penis rash imaginable, the symptoms (espescially pictures on google images and other sites) of scabies started to match what I had more and more.

While in the shower the other day, I squeezed one of the bumps that came to a head and, sure enough, I ended up with a TINY little bug, barely perceptable to the naked eye, on my fingers. I re-visited my doctor, and he confirmed that I, indeed, have scabies. He perscribed me a permethrin cream called Activin and sent me on my way.

Here is where my question comes into play. The tube says I may need to apply it ALL over my body, but I ask: If the scabies were infesting my entire body, would I not have bites all over my body, or at least other places besides the shaft and helmet of my penis? This stuff BURNS, can I just apply it to my penis and surrounding areas?

As far as sanitation of my house, I purchased several cans of home-furnitature lice spray (which has the same active ingredient, albeit in less concentration, than the prescription cream I recieved) and sprayed the hell out of couches, furniture, and my bed. I then then I vaccuumed my bed, couch and every segment of carpet in my appartment. After this I took a very hot clothing iron (with steam) and meticulously steam-ironed every square inch of my matress and couch. I did this because I have read that scabies dies instantly at temperatures over 130 degrees. After buying a few new sheets and washing the sheets I couldn't afford to replace twice, I am quaranteeing my bedroom for 48 hours, as I read that scabies flat out cant survive without human contact longer than a day.

Have I taken enough measures to ensure that they do not return? (provided I abstain from further sexual contact)

Thank you, I eagerly await your answers, especially concerning the proper application of this Permicin cream.
werid, it sound like herpes
but it wasnt
hey i have a whole bunch of red dot on my penis too
i hope it yeast infection instead of heerpes
First thing I want to know is - can I hire you to come to my place? Sounds like you clean better than I ever could!!!  Bring your gf too - we'll cook up tons of good food and watch you clean :)  Really this is my professional advice and you should follow it - it's important for your recovery...he he he

You've went over and above what you need to do.  I would've never bought new sheets myself. Wash in hot water and throw them in the dryer and you are set. Another option is bag them up for 48 hours and then wash them if you are extra paranoid.  At least now you have an extra set for the future though :)  http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DPD/parasites/scabies/factsht_scabies.htm  is the cdc's fact sheet on scabies - it recommends the lotion from the neck on down to the toes so I'd follow it. Has your gf treated her place too?  She should also call her doc and talk about treating herself too.  Where I work we treat the entire family when one member has it - otherwise you can end up passing it around for months back and forth.  

grace
Wierd i have had scabies and i never noticed red bumps on my penis but more on my wrists and chest mainly after i scratched the **** outa them. Never tried to pop them tho.
In treatment of scabies, as of lice, you also need to wash clothing.  And since you seem to have had this problem a little while, I would recommend not just your dirty clothing.  Those little buggers are pretty sneaky.  I would suggest you wash your clothing you are planning to wear for the next week in hot water and dry high heat.  That way you'll be certain to cover the period they can live without contact.  
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers