STDs Expert Forum
HEPATITIS B RISK FROM MAN TO WOMAN BY CUNNILINGUS AND KISSING
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HEPATITIS B RISK FROM MAN TO WOMAN BY CUNNILINGUS AND KISSING

Hi

I've found on the internet that Hepatitis B can be transmitted through oral sex.  I am a man currently awaiting testing for Hepatitis B (I've had 2 out of the 3 vaccinations) and wondering if I can indulge her orally.

Also I've read that Hepatitis cannot be spread through kissing.  However most websites say Hep B can be passed through saliva.

Please could you clarify please? Why can hep B be transmitted by oral sex but not kissing if present in saliva.

Much appreciated.
Related Discussions
300980_tn?1194933000
Welcome back to the Forum.  Much of what can be said about oral transmission of HIV as we discussed in your prior post on the HIV site can also be said for hepatitis B.  Hepatitis B is transmitted by genital sex.  I suppose it could also be transmitted, at least in theory, by oral sex however this is so rare, if it even happens, that oral transmission of hepatitis B is not even mentioned in scientific papers or medical test books.   I would not pay attention to things you read on the internet if that is your source of information.

Furthermore, there is no evidence of hepatitis B being transmitted by kissing.

In your own case, i f you have already had two of the three recommended vaccinations for hepatitis B, it is also VERY likely that the vaccine is actively protecting you from infection. I would not worry.  I hope this comment helps.  EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank