STDs Expert Forum
HIV - white tongue

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV - white tongue

about 4 weeks ago i was with a TS.  I gave oral sex on him and he stuck his unprotected penis in my anus a few times only for a few seconds at a time.  I got a sore throat a couple weeks later and noticed my tongue was white.  it looks like it has plaque build up.  I know that I had a little white on it before but now it is alot worse and I noticed white spots in my throat.  I have been very stressed over the possiblilty of getting HIV.  what are the chances this is a sign of HIV.  I have only given oral sex to TS and he only stuck his penis in my anus for a few seconds at a time.  Also I had my penis in his for just a few seconds also.
Very low risk for HIV.  Coated tongue occurs with many kinds of health problems, diet changes, and other causes; HIV can do it, but rarely.  But as I have said many times on this forum, people worried about HIV after a particular sexual exposure generally will be more reassured by a negative HIV test than by anything I can say.  Get tested.

And please no questions about how soon to get tested, how quickly the test turns positive, etc, which I have answered many, many times.  Search the forum, don't post the question.  Thanks.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Dr., thanks for following up to my earlier question.  Could you clarify one thing for me.  When people write in about the risk from receptive oral sex you say one of the risk is Herpes.  Is this Type 1 or Type 2.  The FAQs say you cant get Type 2 from oral, but I don't know if this is from all types of oral.
Oral sex carries risk of HSV-1, but the risk is low if the source doesn't have overt cold sores.  Asymptomatic oral shedding with HSV-1 appears to be less frequent than asymptomatic genital shedding with HSV-2.

HHH, MD
Thanks,  I was more concerned with the fact that he did stick his penus in my anus a few times although it was just for a few seconds and about me stinking it in his for a few seconds. I did get tested just waiting on the results, which is very stressfull and I think is causing other symptoms like sore abdomin (abdomen)