STDs Expert Forum
HIV Drinking after someone

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Drinking after someone

Dr:

I am asking this question from my cell phone please forgive spelling.
I have  read most of your threads , but value your answer on my specific question . I had my latest hiv test 6 months after sex of ANY kind(neg).
I had the hiv test about a week ago, this test was 6 months after sex, but I let a person take a sip out of a non alcholic drink, the person had confided in me that they had a herion addiction. I advised person to seek imidiate help and the person did. My question is my test was about 4 to 7 weeks after person took a drink out of my bottle, I took one sip after person did and tossed drink away. Am I at any risk? And "may as well" throw a what if question. What if person had open sore? Should I retest?
I am concearned because I want to try to start a relationship with old girlfriend that I would like to have a long term commited relationship with.
There is no risk of catching HIV by sharing eating utensils, drinking cups, etc used by an HIV-infected person--regardless of opens sores or anything else.  That's zero risk, zilch, nada, nichevo.  If that could transmit HIV, we all would have been infected years ago.

HHH, MD
Sorry if I wasn't supposed to do this. Since we are on the subject of sharing stuff. What about accidentally sharing a toothbrush? I've seen some where that it could be risky for STD transmission.
Probably there is more risk from sharing toothbrushes or razors than from eating utensils.  But to my knowledge, there has never been a case of proved transmission by that route.

HHH, MD
I think it has something to do with the toothbrush staying wet is why it is discouraged, same thing for a razor.

Dr., I have noticed you answer these environmental type exposures with essentially "not a chance" reply. There is a post lower on the page where somebody thought they touched blood in a hospital then picked their nose and you said basically there was no way HIV could be caught that way.

I kind of wonder what you look for in any of these "kinds" of exposures. I also wonder where the line would be drawn on what the CDC calls a mucous membrane contact with blood in a healthcare worker (where PEP would be considered), and these indirect exposures people post on this site. I can't find a definition for a mucous membrane "exposure" in terms of healthcare workers from the CDC, I even emailed the NCID with no response. I am guessing it would have to be a direct blood to membrane contact to qualify as an exposure, but I am not sure.
As I just wrote in the thread Herpes/genital warts question (allew, 3/13/06:  It's all in the context of the question. You cannot expect absolute consistency in every response to questions about, say, transmission risk for fellatio. Some people provide different details about the risk, have selected partners in different settings, and so on.

Further, most of the risk exposure questions involve exposures for which there are no data.  And when there are no data, it is largely because nobody thinks the risk is high enough to be worth the time and money to research it.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, drinking after people was started.
I'M 16 & IDK WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME..
MY BREATHE STINKS, I GOT THOSE YELLOWISH LITTLE PARTICLE IN THE BACK OF MY THROAT, AND THEY SMELL DISCUSTING! I BRUSH MY TEETH A LOT SO THAT'S NOT IT. AND MY TOUNGE  HAS WHITE STUFF ON IT AFTER A CPLE HRS OF NOT BRUSHING MY TEETH. MY **** IT WHITE AND CLOUDY IN A CUP OF WATER. I ALSO HAVE WHITE DISCHARGE FROM MY VAGINA AND OTHER THINGS. I NEED HELP. I CNT TELL ANYONE BC I LIVE WITH MY BOYFRIEND . HELP?
A related discussion, im so worried was started.