STDs Expert Forum
HIV Question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Question

Hello, I am a 26 YR old male. I just starting getting nervous after looking on the internet. About 4 years ago I had recieved oral sex from a girl I knew, and i also engaged in mutual masturbation. I am concerned i may have contracted HIV. While she was performing oral sex she changed out her tongue ring, i don't think she was bleeding from the mouth, but i am very paranoid. It's been almost 4 years now and i have not had an HIV test, and was in a 3 year relationship with a girlfriend who was tested for HIV after we broke up and it was negative. My question is what are the odds i contracted anything from this experience and does this warrant testing? Also, about a year after the incident, i contracted genital warts, i have a few still at this point. I heard that it's unusual for guys to get them, and i've only been with two women. I'm so goddamn scared, i don't even want to go for a test cause i might be one of the "unlucky ones" to get the virus this way. Any help or guidance you can give me would be great. Also because i am on the verge of dating this girl, and i don't want to if i have this disease. I'm only paranoid now because of what i've been reading, and that i have some genital warts. Thanks so much, you guys do a great job!
You do not have HIV. Tongue ring or not, changed out or not, getting HIV from receipt of oral sex is nearly to, if not entirely, unheard of.  

As for the wart, they are incredibly common and not a source of concern.  They are readily treatable if they do not go away on their own.  Search this site for HPV and you will find numerous posts regarding HIV and what they do and do not do.

Now for some advice.  1.  Get the HIV test.  You have spend several years needlessly worrying about a low risk exposure when you could have gotten a test and had this all way behind you.  Getting the test would tell you whether or not you had HIV (you do not), not give it to you.  Thus getting the test would not do anything EXCEPT give you information.  If you had HIV you could seek treatment and if you did not (which I am sure with be the case), you could move on.  Fearing the test is silly and unwarranted.

Advice number 2.  Watch out for the internet. There is a huge amount of mis-information out there.  Assess a site as to the credentials it provides and go with quality.  You can find anything you want said on the net and we spend a lot of time of this site un-doing misinformation.

Advice no. 3.  You used the wrong site.  This is the STD site, not the HIV prevention site.  I will answer one follow up post but all others must go to the HIV Prevention site. Those are the rules.

Hope this is helpful.  EWH