STDs Community
HIV Scare or worried for nothing?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HIV Scare or worried for nothing?

HIV or Scared for no reason?

At a recent conference I visited an "establishment" and had protected sex with a girl.   I've been working hard,
traveling a lot.   It is flu season as well.

5  days after the visit I came down with a cold/flu (sore joints, slight elevated temp).  I've become
very nervous as I've started reading about HIV infection.   In reading more and more and being stressed about this I think I'm starting to manifest these symptoms.

What made me more nervous is that I had cracked skin on my hands the day I visited - quite cracked - not
bleeding or oozing but a little red and cracks deep; I'm concerned that the girl "fluids" may have come
in contact with my skin (I'm sure it did really, it would have had to).

I called the establishment and ask they told me that all girls are checked every few
months ; they assure me the specific  girl had been checked "very recently".

Other people I work with have been sick with the current cold/flu so it's hard to know where is the trueth?

I saw my doctor immediately on feeling sick and he gave me series of tests and asked me to return in 12 weeks for a second series.

I've getting "sick with worry" and I'm not sure that my stress isn't making the flu and symptoms worse.

I'm worried - (very very very very) - am I being over conscious?

Not sure what to do worry or live happy??

Tags: hiv scare, Flu
I personally wouldn't worry - the condom offered you great protection against HIV.

Test again at 12 weeks (or earlier if you want - 95% will develop antibodies by 6 weeks), but I don't see cause for worry here.

Aj
Hi Auntiejessi

Thanks for the comforting response! - My concern is less to do with the protected sex - I'm sure that is fine.

I'm more concerned about the skin cracks on my hand (specifically my finger) - which I inserted small amounts into her backside during the event (not a lot but a little).  The skin was deeply cracked but not bleeding (not like a cut through the skin).   There is no blood (if I put a tissue on the skin it doesn't blot).

Am I safe???

My girlfriend is returning from holidays this week and I'm nervous to have sex at the moment - am I being over worried???

Still got some flu symptoms at (although much less) at day 12 (started feeling a bit sick day 5 after the event).

Still worried!! any advice is good!
No, I wouldn't worry about the cracks in your hands.  You'd need to have some fairly significant cuts to worry about transmission.

Have you ever seen a doctor for your hands?  There might be some creams or something you could use to help.

Aj
Hi Auntiejessi

Thanks for the response - I think a lot of people (inlcuding me) do not understand HIV tranmission via blood.

I always thought any broken skin was an issue - but in reading archives it seems that HIV (is that true for HEPB and HEPC as well?) needs real "runinng red open cut need bandage" type wounds?

Could I ask to confirm:

An older cut or a skin split (even if it's red and sore) - as long as they aren't actively running blood/bleeding it isn't a health risk?

Is HEPB/C tranmission similar?

Sf.
Yes, that's true, and true of the heps too.  If the cut isn't open, then its no risk.

You really should see a doctor about your hands, and it doesn't have anything to do with std risk.  A friend of mine gets that on her hands, and her doc has been able to give her a cream that has really helped.

Aj