STDs Expert Forum
HIV conerns and purple spots

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV conerns and purple spots

Hello Doctor,
I posted a month ago with the thread: Weird body pains and swollen throat. Many thanks for your response and reassurance. I got tested for HIV on day 41 at the health department with OraQuick blood test with a negative result and was quite relieved. This all pertains to a low risk exposure on 9/10 consisting of unprotected insertive oral and protected vaginal.  A few days after the HIV test the body aches and pains cleared up by 80~90 percent. I am still having some mouth problems and a rash on my neck, shoulders, and upper chest around the neck. The rash kinda looks like a sunburn and extends from behind my ears down each side and back of my neck and front top part of my chest. My PCP thinks it is an allergy caused rash, but I have never had such a rash before. Sometimes the rash on my upper chest looks slightly raised.

I saw my PCP on 11/3, for cough and mouth problems that I have been having since I had an oral cleaning at the dentist on 9/29.  He saw no problems with my mouth other than some slight redness.  I also showed him two dark purple round spots on the back of my leg behind my knee. The spots were about 10mm in diameter and about 25mm apart. They felt slightly raised and had sharp boarders. My Doctor said they did not look like bruises, more like puncture marks or insect bites. The back of my leg in this area has felt sore ever since. He said not to worry about them unless I had them all over my body. In 5 days the two spots completely disappeared just faded away.  They did not diffuse like a bruise would. I also have a small red/purple spot on my upper right eye lid. I noticed it about 4 weeks ago. I have no idea how long it has been there.

I went the emergency room on 11/6 (day 57) with returning body aches, soreness, and pains in my upper and lower legs and arms, armpits, shoulders, groin, lower buttocks, and face. The Doctor there checked for swollen lymph nodes in neck, armpits, groin, and ankles and found no swelling. Told me to take pain medicine and forget about it.

I saw an ENT doctor on 11/10, who said my mouth looked fine, but my salivary glands under my jaw were quite swollen, tender, and sometimes painful. The Doctor is doing blood work to find the cause.

I am now at day 64 and still have some body aches and pains.  These aches are not like the kind I have had with flu or any other illness. These aches and pains are really starting to trip me out. I have seen more doctors in the last two months than I have seen in my entire life and none of them has been able to give me a definitive diagnosis. I have always been healthy and never really had any problems like this before. That is why I am so worried about what is wrong with me or what I may have.

1)Is the HIV test at 41 days good or should I get another test now?
2)Is it possible that the test at 41 days was a false negative?
3)Any idea what the dark purple round spots are or could have been? HIV related?

Thanks doctor.
No opinion from an online doc can replace the assessment of a health care provider who has actually examined some one--and you have seen several of them.  I have no idea what you have, but you can be certain it isn't HIV.  As I have said many times on this forum, symptoms are NEVER a reliable indication for or against HIV infection; the blood test is much more reliable.  Unless your own doctors tell you otherwise, my view is that you can rely on the negative HIV test you have had and do not need further HIV testing.  I can't guess what the purple spots might be.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Best wishes---  HHH, MD
Thanks for the quick response and reassurance. This is a great forum. I think I will get another test just to ease my mind.  I will post the results in a few days. Thanks again.
I'm sure your you hiv test will again be negative.  The doctor has said that he has never seen anyone who tested negative at 6 weeks test positive later on.  I'm sure you won't be the first.

I tested negative at 8.5 weeks and most of my aches and pains went away shortly thereafter.  But then I started questioning my test results, i.e., what if the laboratory made a mistake, or my result was a false negative, or I'm just late seroconverting.  And guess what, the aches and pains came back.  I also got a rash on my shoulders a few weeks later.

I'm no doctor, but don't be surprised if they cannot find out what's causing these symptoms, because it is in your head.  I think anxiety can cause a lot of problems with our body, including those you described.  You may need to just hang in there until they go away.

Best of luck and let us know when you get the negative test results.
I got tested again this time with OraQuick oral fluid test at day 66.  The result was negative.  I feel more relived now.  Yeah, I think anxiety has a lot to do with the symptoms I am having.  Though I do think I have some sort of infection in my salivary glands so maybe that is causing some of the pain too.  A negative test at ~9.5 weeks is a good sign.

Good luck to you on your 6 month test.  I am sure your result will be negative.  Thanks for the words of encouragement and best of luck to you and everyone else.
A related discussion, blisters on skin was started.
I have puple spots on the top off my leg I was wondering  is that nornal if not what is it ?