STDs Expert Forum
HIV handjob

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV handjob

Hi Doctor.  I have a question and I hope you can access my risk of HIV from it.  Basically I was at a massage parlor where the woman was masturbating herself.  Afterwards, she got up and put oil in her palm.  I then swiped the oil from her palm with my fingers and began masturbating myself.  I think she may have been having her period or at least at the tail end, although i didnt see any blood since it was dark in the room to begin with.  My question is is if she had a small amount of blood on her hand and some vaginal fluid on her hand mixed with oil, would there be a risk of hiv infection?  My concern is that her vaginal fluid, and blood mixed with oil may have gotten into my urethra and caused HIV infection.  Pleass assess my risk.  Thank you.
Tags: virus
See other threads with essentially the same question.  Hand-to-genital contact does not transmit HIV or any STD, even when the hands have been in contact with one's own genital secretions; no such cases have ever been documented. (Search the STD forum for "HIV anxiety" or "hand-to-genital HIV transmission".

I don't recommend you even get HIV tested.  But if you remain unconvinced and would feel better knowing you have a negative HIV test, you could do that in a few weeks.

HHH, MD
Your risk is zero.  As the doctor will confirm.
I have read on several official websites that hiv is very fragile does not last long outside of the body at regular room temprature. Some experts think only a few seconds.
I agree with the previous posters, you have nothing to worry about from an HIV perspective from the exposure you described.  So let it go and move on.
What about my hangup on a small amout of blood on her hands, do u hitnk that the risk is still zero?  Would the virus have likely died by the time it came into contact with my urethra, or would the amount of virus been too small for it to infect me.  I'm just in need of some sort of rational or scientific reason why i sohuldnt be concerned besides there being no documented cases.  

Also, i've read many conflicting information on this.  But in order for one to be infected through the urethra, does there have to be some force to push the virus into the mucus membrane or is it enough to get infected through just contact with the urethra.
I'll bet you anything that the doc would say a little menstrual blood on her hand won't matter. The virus needs an enclosed space to survive, that's why it travels well through syringes or from a penis into a bodily cavity, or from a woman's interior to the urethra during intercourse (the urethra is inside a tight space that allows the virus to stay alive during transmission.) Even with these enclosed spaces, it is still uncommon for the virus to move from one person to another. For the highest risk event, which is an HIV+ man ejaculating into the anus of an HIV- man, the odds are still less than 1 in 100.

With a hand job, there's so much air flowing around the urethra, and the urethra itself is so small a space for HIV-carrying fluid to enter, that it's almost impossible to pick it up from a hand job. Out of over 1.1 million cases in the US alone, they've never found a case of a guy getting it from a hand job. And think of all the hand jobs that happen!

J
No data are available on the mechanics of transmission in the detail you seek. We just know that nobody has ever been infected that way.  It's the same reason that mosquitos don't transmit HIV, even in places like tropical Africa; and that household members of infected persons never catch the virus unless they also have sex or share needles with them--even if they share toothbrushes, eating utensils, bathroom glasses, and toilets. Apart from mainlining the virus (e.g., transfusion) HIV is hard to transmit.  If vaginal sex carries only a 1 in 1000 chance of transmission, even if one person is infected, what can it be by the mechanism you describe.  Your worry is like losing sleep over the possibility of being struck by lightning--and the outcome you fear is just about as likely.

HHH, MD
so i'm assuming u're implying that not only is a handjob common, but handjobs with blood are also common enough that there is no need to test, and the risk is zero?  thanks
I feel as you do. I had an escort do the same to me and I used my fingers in her. I still feel nervous about it all though. I emailed the escort and she said she was negative and gets tested every three months so that made me feel a little better. One thing is for sure, I'm never doing it again.
Yeah I asked this same question a little while ago. My genital area got all itchy too after it, but it was due to a fungal infection which I guess was just a coicidence...so you're claer.
hey guys.. i am thirteen recently recieved a handjob but tere is dots on my penis now.. i am scared n dont know what to do.. will it blow over or what... thanks scared5555
A related discussion, handjob was started.