STDs Expert Forum
HIV thru food?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIV thru food?

Hi,

I wanted someone to assess my two possible exposures to HIV.  I know these may sound silly, but they've been lingering in the back of my mind.

1. I gave a "lick" of my ice cream to a friend of mine who has HIV.  I have mild gingivitis, but was not actively bleeding in my mouth, etc.  Chance of transmission?

2. At a brunch party on Sunday, my same friend who has HIV was helping prepare some food.  At some point, he inadvertantly nicked his thumb with a pearing knife.  He immediately went and got a band-aid, and I (not wanting to make a big deal and embarass him) casually checked for blood in the area he was working.  I could find none.  The knife was also rinsed thoroughly, and no one else preparing food had any open cuts.  The food was later cooked and served to me and my guests.  Any chance of transmission here?

Thanks for your time.