STDs Expert Forum
HPV RESULTS AND ITCHING SYMPTOMS ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I was diagnosed about five months ago with High Risk HPV,
considering the fact that I am a big worrier by nature, this
diagnosis has taken a toll on me and my loved ones as well. So
far, I've had a colposcopy and a biopsy performed, and my gynecologist told me that I do not have any precancerous or cancerous changes and she wants to see me again in six months, so on that note I feel much better since she assured me that this is not a health threat to me in any way and that it wouldn't affect my plans to have children  someday and lead a normal life. So far my lessions are benign, my results state CHRONIC CERVIXCITIS WITH SQUAMOUS METAPLASIA (is this a deadly condition? my doctor says it's normal).
However, since the month of November, I've had intense vaginal
itching and tingling as well, and it has been making me quite
miserable. At first, I assumed that it could be the symptoms of a  yeast infection which had been diagnosed at the same time as the HPV. Then I treated the yeast infection with over-the-counter treatments and I also went to planned parenthood to seek a second opinion. The gynecologist at PP, checked for warts (which she found none) and also found a yeast infection and prescribed an antibiotic to treat it. After using all these medications for the yeast, the itching and tingly symptoms are still present and go away at times but not completely. I motivated myself to get screened for other STD'S and so far i'm clear from HIV and Herpes, i'm still waiting for the other STD results (Chylmedia, Gonohrrea, Syphillis (syphilis))but I am confident that these results will also be negative. Since this itching has been bothering me for quite a while, I once again went to see my gynecologist and after a quick glance at my genital area she diagnosed me with pubic lice! Of course I was completely disgusted and shocked at this diagnosis, and she also said that all of the symptoms that i've been feeling (tingling, crawling itching, especially at night) had to do with this condition. So far she prescribed Lindane Shampoo, which i had to apply and leave for eight hours during bedtime. I did this last Tuesday, and still this itching is still persisting, and i'm beginning to question her diagnosis of pubic lice since I can't see a thing on me and i've heard that pubic lice are quite visible.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
-Could this be the beginning of a wart outbreak? But if i've had this itching since November and nobody has been able to diagnose me with Genital warts so far...then what else can it be...and if it was indeed genital warts wouldn't i be able to feel them or see them?

-Does high risk HPV cause intense itching as well?  

-is Chronic Cervixcitis with Squamous Metoplasia a deadly condition that will prevent me from having kids?  and can this also be caused by other std's such as Chlymedia and Gonohrrea?

-Can her Pubic Lice diagnosis be incorrect since the symptoms are persistent?

Thanks and sorry for the long overwhelming email :(
Although vulvar pruritus (itching) has been attributed to HPV by some providers, and itching is sometimes listed as a symptom of warts, there is no good evidence that HPV in fact causes itching.  Vulvar pruritus is an extremely common problem--more so for some women than others--but most likely it is not related to your HPV infection.  And your infestation with crab lice is a more obvious explanation anyway; and itching due to crabs often continues for several weeks after successful treatment.

So the direct answers to your questions are:

1,2) Most likely your itching has nothing to do with your HPV infection and is not an indication of a developing outbreak of warts.

3) There are several causes of cervicitis, including chlamydia and gonorrhea.  Most likely your provider has tested you but if not, request testing.  For many cases of cervicitis, though, the exact cause is not known.  But it is never a "deadly" condition and is unlikely to interfere with fertility or otherwise affect the health of your future children.  The squamous metaplasia part of the diagnosis probably is due to your HPV infection.

4) Diagnosing pubic lice is based simply on observing the lice themselves or their eggs (nits).  You can rely on that diagnosis; with close observation, you probably can see the lice or nits yourself.  (The nits will be small whitish things attached at the base of some pubic hairs.)  As noted above, itching from lice can persist for a couple of weeks after successful treatment.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
How would Vulvar Prirutus be diagnosed in this case?  how common is it? and what are its causes?  Also, my gynecologist had mentioned that my results which had stated "chronic cervixcitis with squamous metoplasia" were normal and many women have this same finding in many pathology results.  Can anyone advise me?
The term "vulvar pruritus" isn't used unless there is no obvious cause--which there is in your case (pubic lice).  Even then, it is not a single disease entity; undoubtedly there are multiple causes (often unknown).  It's a very common disorder.

I strongly suggest you not rely on non-professional opinions on the web about it; and further suggest you not worry about it unless your itching persists more than 2-3 weeks after your lindane treatment.  In that case, discuss it first with your own healthc are provider.

HHH, MD
Thanks so much doc! actually I have one more question to ask you:

I was last sexually active back in November and a few weeks after I developed the itching that I had mentioned to you in my first posting.  My partner, assured me that he has not experienced any itching whatsoever, and since I haven't had any sexual contact with anyone so that's why i keep questions my diagnosis.  Wouldn't he experience the same symptoms if he had passed on the pubic lice to me? My gynecologist says that most likely I got this from sex...but how come he's not experiencing any of these symptoms.  Also, i was wondering, last night my new sexual partner "fingered" me, can you pass the lice by doing this? if let's say he touched me and then he touched himself?

I'M SO SORRY FOR THESE OVERWHELMING QUESTIONS...YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Not everybody with public lice gets itching.  Just as for mosquitos, some people react with bigger, itcher bites than others.

Crabs can be transmitted just by sharing a bed or clothing.  But most adults who share beds also have sex, and lice are often transmitted during sex.  I doubt fingering can transmit it.

Your boyfriend definitely needs to be treated, even if he hasn't noticed anything--otherwise you'll just get infected again.  Also, all sheets, blankets and clothing used in the month before your symptoms started need to be laundered in hot water.

HHH, MD
I was aso wondering if any of the following symptoms are the ones *indeed* present when you have a pubic lice expectation. In other words, these are the symptoms that I'm experiencing now and i'm wondering whether the crabs are the cause or I might have another std/condition:

-The itching increases after I take a shower, and to relieve this i constantly have to fiercefully pull my pubic hair.
-The itching also increases when laying down or sleeping.
-At times when opening my legs, I also feel a little itching.

are all these symptoms associated with this infestation?

thanks so much!
Pubic lice often itch, but there are no data on when, things that might make it worse, etc.  No other STD causes such itching.  You can assume that crabs is your only problem.
is it true that HPV can cause infertility? if let's say a woman gets abnormal cells removed from the cervix and this procedure can cause potential damage to cervical tissue, is it possible that this can reduce fertility and increase premature delivery?

Thanks.
It's not appropriate to start a new thread with a follow-up question.  Only a limited number of questions is accepted daily and unnecessary ones block others from posting new questions.  I deleted your new question.

If a 2 gynecologists say you don't have warts, you don't have warts.  There are lots of causes of genital itching and it is wildly inappropriate to assume a "deadly" skin condition, for goodness' sake.  Make sure your provider--whichever one you decide to stick with--knows how severe the itching is, then follow his or her advice.  In the meantime, stop searching the internet; all you will find is bad news and/or confusing information.

HHH, MD
And no, HPV doesn't cause infertility.  Once in a while, treatment for cervical HPV infection results in cervical incompetence, which increases the risk of miscarriage--but that's not a common problem.
sorry doc...it's just that this itching has not gone away and i'm going crazy.  Can you please respond to my Infertility/HPV question. (since i'm planning to have kids in the future)

Thanks.

Thanks.
thanks. just saw your answer.

PLEASE WISH ME LUCK WITH THIS ONGOING ITCHING BATTLE AND PSYCHOTIC THOUGHTS.

i recently trimmed my pubic hair.  ever since then, i have been experiencing itching in my pubis area and also it feels like something is crawling in my pubic hair.  i checked for pubic lice but i do not see any white eggs. what could it be?
A related discussion, Why is the itching still occuring? was started.