STDs Expert Forum
HPV Test
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HPV Test

3 years ago at my annual exam, my OB/GYN performed both a PAP and HPV test.  (A little history: I've had a few abnormal paps in the past, but this was prior to the HPV test existing, so I followed the routine "wait 6 months and see" and  after both times - I went back into a pattern of having years of normal paps.) Three years ago when I had the HPV test for the first time - my pap actually came back slightly abnormal again and my doctor said it was likely due to a yeast infection, and my HPV Test came back negative.  The year after, my PAP came back normal and I was not tested for HPV at that time.   I went in for my annual about a week ago and my doctor just let me know that my PAP was normal, but that my HPV test did come back positive.  

What I'm curious about is whether it's possible that I am having a recurrance of HPV - from a strain I may have had years ago?  Or would the negative HPV test from 3 years ago rule that out and mean that the HPV test I just took is showing a new HPV infection?  

I did start a new relationship right around 3 years ago, after my negative HPV Test.  My doctor felt that this HPV Test is likely showing a new exposure to HPV for me, however, I'm not 100% up to speed on how potential HPV dormancy can affect HPV tests and haven't been able to find any information on this yet.

Thanks!