STDs Community
HPV and Cervical Precancer Cells

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HPV and Cervical Precancer Cells

Hello.

I have HPV. I started having abnormal paps about 5 or 6 years ago. After the HPV spread on my cervix from 1/8 to 2/3 in 6 months last november, the clinic FINALLY decided to do cryosurgery to freeze it away. I have had one normal pap since then. My next pap is due in feb and then one more in august. What are the chances the HPV will surface again? I've been taking multivitamins like they told me to.

They told me the HPV cells were precancer cells. I have a family history of cancer... am I more at risk?
With a family history it seems like you are probably more at risk for it. Can't say what the paps will say but a good sign that you have had some regular paps.
Let's keep it all here in this post. less confusing then 2 posts :)

Hpv will not cause pid. Pid is typically caused by untreated gonorrhea or chlamydia.   Did you and your partner have proper testing for them both as well as other std's?

Usually if your body  hasn't cleared hpv on its own in 2 years, it's going to be a persistent infection.  continuing to follow up with regular pap tests are in your best interest. You might also want to read up on a cone biopsy too and discuss with your provider if that is worthwhile testing for you.

you having a family history of cancer in general isn't an issue. If you had a family history of cervical cancer, it could be an indication that you have a gene that makes you more susceptible to not being able to clear yourself of  high risk hpv on your own. definitely continue to follow up regularly and a consult with a gynecological oncologist isn't a bad idea at this point either. I know it sounds very scary to go to a gyn cancer specialist but it's worthwhile since they can thoroughly evaluate you as well as spell out exactly what the "game plan" is for you too.  I think in the long run it makes it less scary since you know exactly what testing you need done and as well as what the next treatment option is.

grace