STDs Expert Forum
HPV and conceiving
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HPV and conceiving

I was diagnosed with penile HPV by a dermatologist a few years ago.  I had a biopsy which showed HPV, but I am unsure of the subtype.  Was treated with cryotherapy x3 for some ventral lesions.  Since then, I have become married and am interested in starting a family.  I still note multiple small lesions ventrally near my hair follicles which I believe are a recurrence.  Actually they were for the most part present back then, but the dermatologist thought they were different.  They look the same to me and have slightly enlarged since then.  What do you think is the best treatment regimen (Aldara, Podophyllin?)  They are over a large enough area, I would not think cryotherapy would work.  Finally, do you think a urologist would be a better doctor to see?  I am having trouble finding a new dermatologist since I have moved.  Thanks for the help.
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the STD forum. I'll try to help.

Having had HPV is not a restriction of any kind on conception or parenthood.  Even if you have current warts or other HPV infection, it would have no effect.

However, delayed reappearnce of genitalw arts is uncommon; based on that plus the location and your description, I doubt your curren genital lesions are warts or other HPV infection.  See a health care provider for diagnosis.  Definitely do that before you treat the bumps with any therapy of any kind; trying to treat them will make it much more difficult (perhaps impossible) to judge the cause. Keep trying for a dermatologist, or find a family medicine doc.  Some urologists are sharp at genital dermatology, but not all of them.

If you do have warts, cryotherapy or podophyllin are more effective (and more rapidly effective). Aldara is effective against moist warts, e.g. on the labia in women or under the foreskin on men, but it's poor for warts on dry skin. But follow whatever treatment your dermatologist or family medicine doc recommends.

But don't worry about conception and parenthood.  It's not an issue.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers