STDs Community
HPV genital warts remaining for 5 years?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

2 months ago I noticed some small warts in my genitals and went to see the doctor.
I was diagnosed by physical inspection that I had genital warts and then the doctor used an electrocauterization process to burn them. The doctor burned l2 small warts and like 4 very small warts. The real small ones were new I just saw them 2 months ago but one or two of the not so small ones were there for at least the last 5 years and I didnt care about them. I thought they were a skin problem.
They never grew, they remained in the same place hidden between genital hair.
So, i would like to know if its possible to have those warts for so long, like 5 years, and if that is normal? do I have to extra worry about cancer or something like that?
I thought that maybe the new warts, the ones noticed 2 months ago, were because of a new infection. And that the ones I remember from years ago were the remain of an old infection. Is that possible for my body to have cleared the  infection years ago but 2 warts remained there?
I have read a lot of information about genital warts and HPV but I dont know if the warts can remain in the skin after the body has cleared the virus and I dont know also if the warts can remain there for as long as 5 years, and if thats possible that would be a sign of what?
They never caused pain or something like that. I dont have HIV so I dont know whats happening. Also I read that the high risk strains of HPV can remain in the body for long time and they also can produce the warts, is it true?
Thanks for your time

, so I was wondering if maybe I had clear a first infection and the warts remained. I try to remember
They can answer all your questions about HPV in the HPV Community.