STDs Community
HPV latency period

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HPV latency period

Could someone PLEASE give me an answer to the question about how long HPV can be in your system prior to an outbreak?  I have done a lot of research on this, and the only information I can get is that you can have HPV "for months or several years" prior to an outbreak.  I was just dxd with genital warts, and am baffled (among other things) as to how/when I got this.  I have been with my husband for 12 years, and am trying to determine whether it is possible that he unknowingly gave this to me, or whether this strain of HPV could have remained dormant from a period of time before this.  Also, it is typical to have a brownish discharge with HPV, or is this likely indicative of an infection that is occurring?

Thank-you very much in advance for your assistance/answers!

This discussion is related to HPV conventional wisdom and new research.
Hi there -

Its possible that either of you had this before and it just became active.  The longest I've ever seen anyone go is 7 years, but HPV is one that its tough to rule anything out with.

The brown discharge isn't from the warts, but could be bacterial vaginosis, or another std (which would then be proof).  Have you talked to your doc about the discharge?

AJ
Yes, I have.  She has put me on antibiotics, so I'm waiting to see if that takes care of it.  She didn't tell me what it might be caused from, although she did a PAP.  I haven't yet heard back from her re: results as yet.
What antibiotic did she put you on?

AJ
Amoxicillin - 500 mg t.i.d. (every 8 hours) for ten days.
The only thing I can think of offhand that amox will cure vaginally is group b strep.

It won't cure chlamydia, gonorrhea, or bv, so I'm wondering if she thinks you have group b strep, or just gave you the wrong antibiotic.

AJ
Are you pregnant?  An alternative treatment for chlamydia infections during pregnancy is amox, but not at that dose.

AJ
No.  I had a baby seven months ago.  Not sure why she chose Amox; I guess I just trust her to write the correct script.  She gave me this script prior to results of my pap; just when I told her that I thought I had an infection, and told her about the brown discharge.  She visually examined two of the growths on my vagina, and told me that the one was a wart, then referred me to a gyno (appointment in two months time).
Two months?  Gotta love our medical system here, huh?

If you want to get treated sooner, you can try Planned Parenthood and see if you can get in sooner.  They also take most insurances.

AJ
I'm actually from Canada, and waiting periods for specialists are long sometimes (I realize, though, that we are lucky to have free health care).  I really appreciate your information and help.  Do you mind my asking whether you are a nurse, doctor, pharmacist, or another person dealing wtih HPV?  You just seem to be educated about meds/doseages, etc., so wondered if your profession was in the medical field.  Thanks again, AJ!
I have worked in the std field for a long time, as an educator, disease investigator, doing HIV and Hep C testing, etc.

Oh yes Canada.  Your system does have its disadvantages, not that ours doesn't.

AJ