STDs Expert Forum
HPV on Scrotum?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HPV on Scrotum?

I have posted in the past about having a red scrotum.  I believe Dr. EWH answered my last question.  I'm not looking to get a second opinion on the red scrotum.  I understand that an STD wont cause my entire scrotum to be red. However, I have been really conscious of it.  I was inspecting my scrotum when I noticed a spot on it. The size of it isn't very big.   In fact, its about the size of this letter "O".  However, its not a perfect circle. It doesn't have the appearance of cauliflower or little fingers extending from it.  There is no dark or light ring surrounding the edges of it.  There are no other areas on the scrotum that look like it. Actually, I DON'T find anything like this anywhere else in my genital area (inner thighs, pubic area, penis head, penis shaft, anal area, etc).  The "O" size spot that I am referring to on my scrotum is flat and located directly over a redish- purple vein. No other redish- purple veins found on my scrotum have this. The spot does not have a meaty look to it.  No hair follicle is protruding from the spot. No hair follicles next to it either. I had unprotected sex about three months ago with a woman I know from work.
Questions....HPV
1) What are the chances of having just one wart?  Don't they multiply normally? Don't buddy warts normally develop?
2) From what I seen on past posts from this web site, I read that a doctor never seen a "flat" wart on the scrotum. Whats your opinion with regard to "flat" warts being found on the scrotum?
3) With me having unprotected sex, would it make more sense to find a wart on the shaft or head of the penis first as opposed to discovering one spot on my scrotum?  If I'm going to have something on my scrotum...wouldn't I have it on the head or shaft of my penis too?
4) What the heck is it!  It doesn't look like a cyst. I don't know what a "Skin Tag" is or what it looks like.
5) I noticed this spot after using Clotrimazole for week and a half.  Any possible connection to the cream?
The purpose of this forum, or any similar online forum, is to give possibilities and probabilities, not to make specific diagnoses.  Further, advice on this forum stops at STDs.  There is no STD, HPV or other, that would cause the ring-like lesion you describe.  Maybe a fungal infection or some other dermatitis.  Beyond that, we won't speculate.

1) Your symptoms are not those of a genital wart.

2) Flat warts are invisible and asymptomatic.

3) The penis is the most common site of genital HPV infections in men, but the scrotum can be involved.  

4,5) I don't know what it is and will not try to guess.  I have no opinion as to whether it might be related to the clotrimazole cream.

See your primary health care provider with your questions, or a dermatologist.  There is no point in trying to work this out online, either in this forum or any other website.

No follow-up comments or questions, please.
Also, I suggest you completely stop self-examing your scrotum.  One possibility is that you are looking too hard and noticing normal variations in your scrotal skin.
Doc....no need to respond.  On one hand I appreciate your professional opinion....and value it. I know that a diagnosis can't be made via internet...but it certainly can lead one in the right direction when possibilities and probabilities are shared. On the other hand....it disappoints me that the overtone to your opinion leads me to believe that responding to my problem (however small) was bothersome to you. The great thing about this web site is that people can come here and share their concerns....no matter how big or small the problem may seem.  I have come to learn a lot from others by reading their posts.  So many sensitive and compassionate people sharing thoughts and information with others in pursuit to providing help when things can be so worrisome. While your opinon matters to all of us, it would be nice to remember how important the problems are to the person sharing them.   No follow-up comments or questions, please.