STDs Expert Forum
HPV question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HPV question

Hello:

29 yr o male. Have had probably 12-13 sexual partners in lifetime. Posted a question about 6 months ago. 22 year old female who I had been having both unprotected and protected sex on and off for 2 months back in August 2012. She had IUD birth control as well. In mid August 2012, she went to gyno and had 2 warts discovered on thigh, as well as molluscum contagium. At the time i asked question here and doctors advised that I had already been exposed and shouldn't alter sexual behavior. Nevertheless, we waited 1 month before continuing sex after HPV had been frozen off, and in the meantime I got the first shot of gardasil a week or two after the appointment.

I have been dating the same girl monogamously since then, and tomorrow shes going to the gyno after discovering what she thinks is another wart on her inner thigh. At this point, i still have had no symptoms of HPV or anything else and have had the 2nd Gardasil shot (am 1 month away from 3rd).

My question is as follows. Assuming her doctor says that the bump on her thigh is in fact a recurring wart, it doesn't really change anything, correct? Should we wait til it has physically fallen off before resuming sexual activity or does it not matter all. I would imagine i've been exposed already, and maybe I even gave it to her originally, and having contact wouldn't change anything. Thoughts?
Welcome back to the Forum.  You are again asking good questions.  And again, my advice has not changed.  First, given the location of the possible wart you mention, if it is a wart, you do not know if this is a wart caused by genital subtypes. Further, as we have discussed previously, you have been exposed already. Finally, if all of the "ifs" mentioned above are the case, you now have 2 of your 3 HPV vaccine doses on board.  This too works in your favor.  Putting it all together, if anything there is LESS reason for abstinence or change in your sex life than there was during our lst exchange and as you remember, we saw no reason to change things at that time.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Thanks for the info. The gynecologist confirmed it was a wart and froze it. It actually was in a similar place as the first time she had them, but smaller. We aren't going to change sexual behavior, i was just curious if i should wait til it physically falls off, as it takes a few days after freezing. I know I was exposed roughly 6 months ago (or maybe I was the one who exposed her originally), but so far I haven't had any symptoms. I know once you're exposed it doesn't matter if you get exposed to the same strain again, it just mentally feels like I'm playing fire, even though it's an irrational thought.
Again, that it was a wart does not mean it was a GENTIAL (genital) wart. There are over 100 types of HPV but only a minority of them cause genital infections.  This may be a common, non-genital wart.

There is no medical reason for you to abstain until the wart falls off.  this my advice is unchanged. This is up to the two of you.  EWH