STDs Expert Forum
HPV reinfection of cervix with condom use

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Mother took DES in 1953,had me in 1955.Age 28 i had conization of  one third cervix.Mongomous relationships i believed from 1975 on.If not sex every 2-3 years with condoms.period of celibacy age 40-50.Became involved with uncircumsized male who never used condoms.Relationship ended 9-06.Told 12-06 level one squamous cell cervical changes.Removed/biopsied.follow up pap 6-07 showed hpv on cervix.I think from him,Just can't believe this lie dormant for 24 years with clean paps..LEEP 8-07.no sex for year now.I am monogomous and don't like multiple stuff.Since HPV is transmitted thru the skin what are the chances of re-infection to the cervix of hpv virus with condom use?
As you know, years ago you had HPV and its consequences which have been managed well.  Regardng your recent event, there are no certain answers. There are still many questions to be answered including whether or not it can be dormant for long periods of time followed by re-activation; for this to be re-activation is rather unlikely.  

Condoms do reduce the risk of aquiring HPV by mor ethan 50% but the protection is not perfect.  Could you have acquired a new HPV infection-yes.  T

Cervarix is being considered for approval  by the FDA and may well be approved in the not too distant future although it is difficult to predict exactly when.  The other HPV vaccine, Gardasil is currently available and could be obtained at the present time.  Since you are over the usual age for whom this vaccine is recommended, you would likely have to pay for it out of pocket--proably somehwere in the $350.00-$400.00 range.
EWH
When will Cervarix gain FDA approval?Would i be eligible to get it already having HPV virus?
My cervical malignancies were HPV in 1983?Doctor thought from HPV!The Cervarix is appealing for it is represented with far more reaching preventative capabilities than the Gardisil.Also stated as covering women in my age range.I will ask my doctor in 12-07 post LEEP pap.Thank You for your time in responding to me!
Typpo there...Gyno in 1983 said malignancies from the DES most likely!You think not?Or back then we just didn't know what we know now?
In a previous post you stated that cervical dysplasia can only be caused by the HPV virus.What a bout the literature stating high rates of cervical cancer in women whose mothers took DES?