STDs Expert Forum
HSV 1- IgG Quant (herpaSelect)

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HSV 1- IgG Quant (herpaSelect)

I have been dating this guy for 2.5 years. so I decided to do STD test before marriage since we were not sexually active during the relationship. So, My boyfriend was tested Negative for both HSV 1/2 IgG. I was tested Positive for HSV-1 IgG. The test result was 4.8. and HSV-2 IgG was .11 Negative. I was in denial, so I went back after 3 months and re-tested but it came out HSV-1 IgG 1.1 and HSV 2 was Negative .13.
Still not sure, how could I test 4.8 then after 3 months 1.1 (I started taking Echinacea &Goldenseal Vitamin) after I was tested 1st time? My question is could it be the lab result was wrong? or could it be false positive though I'm still positive? I never ever had breakdowns,,, never soar lips or blisters.. no symptoms at all, that is why I was shocked. ALso my Boyfriend was tested Negative which means I didn't infect him for over 2.5 years. What should I do please advice. I can't sleep, eat or work. I wish I die or just disappear. I hate mylife and can never stop thinking about it. Please help me with an answer clarifying of what is going on. Should I take medication or anything to make it go away ;( I haven't even started my sex life and I'm already infected ;(  please Help)
Tags: HSV 1 IGG
Welcome to the STD forum.  The bottom line is that you are overreacting to a non-STD problem that probably has no importance for your health or that of your current or future sex partner(s).

It really doesn't matter very much whether or not you have HSV-1.  Probably you do -- more below about the test results themselves.  But so do half of all adults in the US (up to 90% in some countries).  Having HSV-1 should not be considered abnormal in any way.  It's not an STD.  Most infected people caught HSV-1 in childhood, as an oral infection -- but most do not have ongoing cold sores or other symptoms of herpes.  Most don't transmit the infection to anyone else.  You should be on the lookout for sores around the mouth that might be recurrent oral herpes -- and if that happens, avoid kissing or performing oral sex on your partner (or anyone else).  Other than that, don't worry about it.

As for the test results themselves, the HSV-1 test is inherently less stable and less reliable than the test for HSV-2 antibody.  Therefore, discrepancies like yours are fairly frequent.  Your medicines or other illnesses or health problems have nothing to do with the differing results on the two tests.  As I said above, probably you are infected, most likely orally.  It is normal for people with HSV-1 to not infect their kissing partners or sex partners.

As all this suggests, I see no need for further testing.  But if you just can't stand the uncertainty, you could talk with your doctor about having a Western blot test, which is the ultimate gold standard for HSV blood tests.  But my advice is to just live with it, with no worries.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you so much for your reply. I really feel much better. I have one concern, I never seen or had any symptoms or outbreaks around my mouth (lips blisters or cold sors) so how do I know I have symptoms that way I don't infect my partner?

So, if I don't see any of the above mentioned symptomes, then does that mean just live my life normal and not worry about infecting my partner?

Thank you so much for making me feel better.
Glad to have helped; thanks for the thanks.

Over 80% of people with HSV-1 have no visible cold sores.  If there is nothing abnormal that you can see or feel, then probably you aren't having any outbreaks.  Nobody can say there is no risk of infecting your partner, but the risk is low and certainly not worth losing a minute of sleep over.
A related discussion, HSV was started.