STDs Expert Forum
HSV-1 on Buttocks
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HSV-1 on Buttocks

Dear Doctor,

I'm a 26 year old male, and my question is about my 23 year old fiance.  About 2 months ago, she developed a small cluster of fluid filled bumps on reddened skin on her left buttock (about 3 inches below her waistline).  They appeared in one spot, and after a day or so, another smaller cluster appeared slightly below that one.  There was no pain, but they were quite itchy.  At the same time, the lymph gland in her groin, on the same side of her body, became swollen and a little tender.  She had just come off a week of night shift at her job, which is something she doesn't handle well.  Ever since she was young, she seemed to need a lot of sleep.  Anyway, she also had a cold at the time, and was quite stressed out at work.

Of course, we thought it was best to go see a Doctor.  A scraping of the bumps was taken, and she was given a weeks prescription for Valtrex (3 pills per day).  A couple days later, the nurse phoned her and said the test was positive for HSV-1, and negative for HSV-2 and Zoster.  The nurse said if it ever happened again, she could go back and get another prescription for the Valtrex, and that was it.  After the week of Valtrex, the bumps crusted over and healed.  When I say healed, I mean they were gone, but there is still light pinkish spots where the bumps were.

My questions are these:
1. Could the combination of her stress/cold/being run down from the night shift have contributed to, or been the main cause of, the HSV-1 popping up?
2. I have never had anything like this anywhere but my mouth.  I have had cold sores in the past, but I can't ever recall putting my mouth anywhere close to her buttock when I had a cold sore.  That being said, is it still possible that I did somehow pass HSV-1 on to her?
3. Will those pinkish spots where the sores were ever go away?  Or are they "scars" now?  Like I said, it's been about 2 months.

It should also be noted that when she was 16 (about 7 years ago) she developed something similar on the right side of her body (below the armpit and down the ribcage), which the Doctor at the time told her was shingles (no test was done though).  She can't recall if they looked the same as what she had this time, but she seems to remember that they were also quite itchy.

Thanks in advance for any answers/comments.

-mthec