STDs Expert Forum
HSV-2 outbreak on chest??

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HSV-2 outbreak on chest??

Hi Doc

First off great forum. You offer a lot of helpful info that dismisses myths and confirms truths.

Well, yesterday I noticed on my chest area 2 small pimples (not sure if they are vesicle like but look somewhat blister-like, but are right next to each other) in my chest area.

I was wondering if it is

a) possible to get an HSV-2 outbreak (either initial or reccurent) in the chest area?

b) If possible, how common is it to get HSV-2 outbreaks on the chest?

I had read in numerous forums that HSV-2 only occurs below the waist and usually in the "boxer short area" And that if it is above the waist it is most likely HSV-1 or it's just a couple of pimples

It is not true that herpes (HSV-2) only occurs below the waist.  Occurring at other locations however is quite uncommon.  In addition, the lesions you describe sound very much like folliculitis.  Folliculitis occurs when the pores in your skin get plugged.  This allows that normal bacteria that are present on just about every-one's skin to grow and cause what is essentially a pimple.  

You say nothing about your exposure but I'm betting this is folliculitis.  EWH
I also forgot to mention that the reason I thought the pimples look suspicious of herpes is because they are red and yellow in color
Thank you for your answer very helpful. One more question.  The 2 pimples do not resemble normal pimples they are reddish/yellowish in color and I think have a vesicle like appearence. My last and only sexual experience was over 1 year ago. I had unprotected vaginal sex. Could this be herepes? Do u suggest a culture or do u think its just a case of bacteria as in a pimple?
I repeat, this is not herpes.  The yellow/red coloration is typical of folliculitis (pimples).  To get this cultured would be a waste of time and money.  EWH